Australia, PNG, or Micronesia in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pigletfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are starting to plan a Pacific vacation of ~15 days for the last half of March 2005. Here are some of the things we're looking for:

1. Good intermediate-level diving in warm water (preferably >80 F). We are both underwater photographers. Looking for good visibility, nice corals, and abundant marine life, with pelagics a big plus.
2. Little to no rain.
3. A good variety of topside activities such as hiking, kayaking, local culture, etc. Animals that you can interact with (esp. marsupials, primates, elephants) preferred as well. And good snorkeling would also be a plus.
4. Decent food for a vegetarian who eats dairy but no fish.
5. Accommodation in the 3 to 4 star range

We have not been to the Australia or the Pacific before, but in August 2003 we spent one week on Bali (topside activities only) and one week on a Komodo liveaboard. We loved this trip!! The only part that wasn't completely ideal was being on the boat for a week -- we had very few land excursions, and although we loved the diving we started to go a wee bit stir crazy.

Here is our current shortlist:

1. One week in Australia (for land activities) and one week on a liveaboard in PNG
2. One week in Australia (for land activities) and one week on a liveaboard in the Coral Sea
3. Two weeks on Palau and Yap (but land activities might be pretty limited? And is a livaboard definitely the way to go in Palau -- vs. the Palau Pacific Resort and an operator like Sam's Tours?)

We know we need to do a lot more research, but any recommendations and tips other ScubaBoarders could provide would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

:bfish:

PS: we are also considering two Asian locations, which are described in a post on that board. I was not allowed to put the same post (with all 5 places we are considering) on both the Asia and the Pacific boards; to do so is considered spamming by ScubaBoard. But we are trying to decide between the 5 locations, not just the three mentioned above. Thanks!

That's quite a list you've got there! Very hard to provide definitive answers to satisfy all factors.
I suggest you do the deciding backwards. I mean, check out the diving first, shortlist the options, then see which venue satisfies your wishlist.

http://undercurrent.com

is a good place to get feedback on locations, in their chapbook.

Having been to all the places you mention, my choice would be a liveaboard in Milne Bay, PNG. Pelagics are scarce though.
A preceeding week in Queensland would allow you a three-day liveaboard on the GBR.

Pelagics on GBR for wideangle shots, scarce in Milne Bay area. Photos tops in PNG though, macro esp.

Palau - pelagics/wideangle. Not too much to offer topside.

Whatever you go for, enjoy!

BTW if you see an elephant in those places, you've gone too deep.

Saedeuce :coke:

1. Good intermediate-level diving in warm water (preferably >80 F). We are both underwater photographers. Looking for good visibility, nice corals, and abundant marine life, with pelagics a big plus.
2. Little to no rain.
3. A good variety of topside activities such as hiking, kayaking, local culture, etc. Animals that you can interact with (esp. marsupials, primates, elephants) preferred as well. And good snorkeling would also be a plus.

We have not been to the Australia or the Pacific before, but in August 2003 we spent one week on Bali (topside activities only) and one week on a Komodo liveaboard. We loved this trip!! The only part that wasn't completely ideal was being on the boat for a week -- we had very few land excursions, and although we loved the diving we started to go a wee bit stir crazy.

1. One week in Australia (for land activities) and one week on a liveaboard in PNG
2. One week in Australia (for land activities) and one week on a liveaboard in the Coral Sea
3. Two weeks on Palau and Yap (but land activities might be pretty limited? And is a livaboard definitely the way to go in Palau -- vs. the Palau Pacific Resort and an operator like Sam's Tours?)

We know we need to do a lot more research, but any recommendations and tips other ScubaBoarders could provide would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

PS: we are also considering two Asian locations, which are described in a post on that board. I was not allowed to put the same post (with all 5 places we are considering) on both the Asia and the Pacific boards; to do so is considered spamming by ScubaBoard. But we are trying to decide between the 5 locations, not just the three mentioned above. Thanks![/QUOTE]

That's quite a list you've got there! Very hard to provide definitive answers to satisfy all factors.
I suggest you do the deciding backwards. I mean, check out the diving first, shortlist the options, then see which venue satisfies your wishlist.

http://undercurrent.com

is a good place to get feedback on locations, in their chapbook.

Having been to all the places you mention, my choice would be a liveaboard in Milne Bay, PNG. Pelagics are scarce though.
A preceeding week in Queensland would allow you a three-day liveaboard on the GBR.

Pelagics on GBR for wideangle shots, scarce in Milne Bay area. Photos tops in PNG though, macro esp.

Palau - pelagics/wideangle. Not too much to offer topside.

Whatever you go for, enjoy!

BTW if you see an elephant in those places, you've gone too deep.

Seadeuce :coke:

2. Little to no rain.

PS: we are also considering two Asian locations, which are described in a post on that board. I was not allowed to put the same post (with all 5 places we are considering) on both the Asia and the Pacific boards; to do so is considered spamming by ScubaBoard. But we are trying to decide between the 5 locations, not just the three mentioned above. Thanks![/QUOTE]

pigletfish:
My husband and I are starting to plan a Pacific vacation of ~15 days for the last half of March 2005. Here are some of the things we're looking for:

2. Little to no rain.

PS: we are also considering two Asian locations, which are described in a post on that board. I was not allowed to put the same post (with all 5 places we are considering) on both the Asia and the Pacific boards; to do so is considered spamming by ScubaBoard. But we are trying to decide between the 5 locations, not just the three mentioned above. Thanks!

We were in Australia the summer before last, we had a great time based in Cairns. Plenty of hotels 3&4* to choose from, lots of restaurants also. You might think about basing from Port Douglas, we also stayed there before and after a 4 day liveaboard to the Coral Sea. We had fun seeing different animals in a couple of Habitat parks (kangaroos,wombat,wallabies, crocs and birds), also we took a tour into the Tablelands and the rainforest to see tree kangaroos, possum and other marsupial, primate type creatures.There are rafting trips available so I would imagine your chance to kayak would be good, Tjapakai (sp) near Cairns has a great cultural type show.
The Coral Sea was allot better for diving and viz than the GBR area off Cairns. The water was 82F in their winter (June) The time of year we were there we saw Dolphins, snorkeled with Minke whales, also the big Queensland grouper at 300-400lbs. Saw Dog Tooth Tuna and plenty of sharks.
We are diving PNG this coming July because we heard the diving diversity is even better. We heard that pelagics are not super common. The sepik river trip there sounds interesting. Also I've read reports that the viz is better than the Coral Sea. PNG is still primitive with volcanic activity and lots of unexplored territory.
As far as elephants go, we've been to several Parks in South Africa and it was astounding the amount of wildlife that I saw that I never knew exisited, like bush babies, caracal, pangolien, and the different types of birds. But the elephants and giraffes, the wildebeast and lions & lepords we terrific. I don't think that there is anywhere you'll find diversity on land like that.

Dive Safe,
Caymanaic

Thanks for the advice -- and please keep it coming! We will be doing lots of research over the upcoming long weekends to try to make a choice.

BTW - the reference to primates and elephants is an "editing error": we know that the attraction of Australia would be marsupials, and that Micronesia offers little wildlife. The other two locations we are considering (I have a post on the Asia board) are Thailand and Borneo. These locations would offer the primates and elephants! =)

Now, Africa, there's another interesting possibility...!!

March in PNG would be near the start of the winter season, winds start to pick up and water temperature gets cooler. Water temp would be the low 20s 'C.
There are not many hotels in PNG and the cost are usually rather high. I would suggest a liveaboard. Scenic wise aka non diving, there is the Stanley Range that cuts across the main of PNG. Kokoda trail is a good hike that can be done which traces back to how the japanese tried to cut across during WW2.
In the Rabaul, East New Britain there are active volcanoes.

Been to all three. No question in my mind - PNG. Untouched reefs, amazing life and a great cultural experience. Gotta do a live-aboard though.

Many thanks to everyone for your advice!

In the end we have chosen option #2 -- a week of land activities in Australia plus a week on a liveaboard to the Coral Sea. We're leaving March 17th and will spend 3 nights in Sydney, 6 nights on the Nimrod Explorer, and then 5 nights in or near Cairns (these 5 nights are the one thing we still need to book).

We're very excited and would welcome any further tips on the Great Barrier Reef area of Queensland and/or the Nimrod Explorer!

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom