Another Crummy Paradise in Roatan #2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive California

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Yes, I too was there the same week Roatan Man was there...

Friday Night, December 10th...departed Hermosa Beach...tough because it was a very warm 76° from the Santa Ana Winds...drove to LAX.

Saturday morning...wee hours...oh dark hundred...1:30 am...flew out on Continental...LAX to Houston...slept some, arrived in Houston at 6:30 am....2 1/2 hour lay over....ummmm Starbucks...Only had to go one gate to our connector...to Roatan...left on time...as soon as we hit the Yucatan, we hit clouds and the fun began, yahoo! What an E-Ticket...

Arrived at airport, very small and full because another flight from mainland arrived...This is were being associated with a nice outfit...AKR in my case or in Roatan Man's case, Coco View helps...they take care of the bags and zoom through customs and on the way to the resort. Short bus ride, as soon as we arrived, drink orders were taken...I off course had a non-alcohol, in anticipation of getting in a beach dive...as I just missed the 2:30 pm boat out... :11:

Now, my wife is a non-diver, which was why I selected AKR...otherwise, I would have selected Coco View, but they don't have much for non-divers...my wife selected the large Rum drink...

Immediately after the reception and orientation...I went to the Dive Shop and checked in with Kevin... I was told I had to have a buoyancy check-out and I needed a buddy to go shore diving...I could not find anybody at the resort that wanted to go shore diving...so, I decided to spend the afternoon with my wife, snorkeling....wow! First the water was in the 80's and the viz was 70' plus... AKR has a nice wall from the shore dive area...

To get to our rooms, right next to the shore dive area...we had to take a water taxi. The water taxi runs 24 hours. If the water taxi is not there, you get their attention by hitting a steel-peg on an empty tank...then they come.

The food was so much better than I expected. The head chef, George, is so nice and mixes up the choices everyday. You always have your choice of meat, fish, or the ever popular combo….One evening a group of us asked Chef George to cook a typical Honduras meal, his eyes lit up and he was so excited that we would want something like that. I’m Cuban, and Honduras food is very similar. Chef George cooked: Black Beans with Coconut Milk; Roasted Chicken with a local spicy pepper; White Rice with Ripen Plantains; and Flan. It was so good, mmmm.

The room, Number 37, we upgraded and had the air condition room with private porch that had two hammocks. This was nice, we didn’t have to share the hammocks, and I like to run around in my boxers. Our porch looked out into the ocean.

Sunday morning: Each morning I woke up and did the short walk (no not in my boxers) to the other end of our key, where there was fresh coffee. The first day, we needed to be at the dive shop at 7:30 am, for the buoyancy check-out. I was assigned to the Haydee Boat. The Captain and the Dive Master, Wendell, were local guys and very nice. I had 11 other divers on the boat. Everybody was nice and experienced divers. Wendell said that this was the advanced boat and that we would be doing the most advanced dives, while the others would gradually work themselves into the advance dives. Wendell said that we would be guaranteed to do all of the advance dives, with weather permitting.

Dive number 1:
Herbie’s Place, West End, point.
Depth: 65’ Viz: 80’ Temp.: 76-81°
Conditions: Current, waves, with rain.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Wall dive, water warmer at bottom than at top. Spiny lobsters, green moray eel swimming around and spotted moray eel in hole.

Dive number 2:
Key Hole, West End, south side.
Depth: 60’ Viz: 45’ Temp.: 78-82°
Conditions: Current, waves, with rain, a drift dive.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Storm got worse on deck, nice to get down. Swim through. Trumpet fish, Squirrel fish, large Black Groupers, Barracudas, and lots of blue tangs.

Dive number 3:
Butcher’s Bank, Turtle Crossing, West End, north side.
Depth: 51’ Viz: 45’ Temp.: 77-80°
Conditions: Current, surge, waves, with rain, a drift dive.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Very stormy, cut dive short because of storm, hard to get back to resort. Two turtles, one very large on bottom, the other was swimming with us. Saw large Peacock Flounder on bottom, very cute.

The first dive leaves the dock at 8:30 am. The second dive leaves at 10:30 am; sometimes they combine the first two dives on one trip, so you don’t have to come back. Lunch is from noon until 2:00 pm. The third dive is at 2:30 pm.

Night dives are scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday, at 5:25 pm. Shore Dives can be done from 3:00 – 9:00 pm, weather permitting.

The rain just came down all day long, but at least it was warm.

Monday:

Dive number 1:
The águila Wreck, Sandy Bay, Northside.
Depth: 105’ Viz: 80’ Temp.: 76-79°
Conditions: Current, waves, with rain, and surge on top.
Comments & Marine Sightings: This ship was purchased by AKR and towed off of their resort. Originally it was intact. Along came Hurricane Mitch, which split the wreck and made it a great dive. Green Moray Eel came over to me, looking for food, swam right up in-between my legs. At the stern of the wreck, is a large bed of garden eels. Coming down and back up the line, you are meet by very large Black Groupers and very blue large, Bullhead Parrotfish. You can penetrate the hull in many different locations.

Dive number 2:
Herbie’s Fantasy, West End, Northside.
Depth: 66’ Viz: 70’ Temp.: 79-80°
Conditions: Current, surge, waves, with rain.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Nice wall dive, beautiful Barrel Sponges. Lots of Lobsters along the wall.

Dive number 3:
Green Out House Wall, West End, Northside.
Depth: 57’ Viz: 45’ Temp.: 74-80°
Conditions: Current, surge, waves, with rain, a drift dive.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Storm coming to an end, started with heavy rains, ended with sun. Large wall, dropping down to 500’, with canyon fingers jutting off. Lots of swim thrus. Saw very large lobsters and crabs. Saw my first sea horse, good size, clinging on to a sea fan, very cute.

Tuesday:

Dive number 1:
Mary’s Place, Southside.

(Same day Roatan Man was there)…yes, the Aggressor was camped there, and I had asked our Dive Master if we needed to schedule this dive in advance, and his answer was no, we just show up…

Depth: 80’ Viz: 25’ Temp.: 80-82°
Conditions: Clouds with sun..
Comments & Marine Sightings: Truly is a great sight. Viz was bad due to run off from rain. Saw a baby Green Moray Eel with big blue eyes. File fish.

Dive number 2:
Key Hole, Turtle Crossing, Southside.
Depth: 55’ Viz: 70’ Temp.: 78-81°
Conditions: Current, cloudy, drift dive.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Huge wall dive. Baby turtle, pipe fish, lobsters along wall, lizard fish.

Dive number 3:
West End Wall, West End, Northside.
Depth: 56’ Viz: 40’ Temp.: 80°
Conditions: Current, waves, cloudy with sun, a drift dive.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Shallow reef with a nice wall. Currents were very strong. Saw spotted Moray Eels, large schools of Jacks, Blue Chromis, and Creole Wrasses.

Night Dive, cancelled due to stormy conditions…

End of Part 1…see part 2

Part 2:

Wednesday:

Dive number 1:
Shark Dive, Cara A Cara, 3 miles off shore, directly south from the airport, Southside.
Depth: 65’ Viz: 40’ Temp.: 71-76°
Conditions: Current, and first day of sun, no clouds.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Caribbean Reef Sharks, aka: Grey Sharks, about fifteen of them, 4-8’. Also a large green Moray Eel. Came “face-to-face” with the shark, hence the name.

Dive number 2:
40 Foot Point, Southside, near Fantasy Island.
Depth: 98’ Viz: 40’ Temp.: 81-84°
Conditions: Cloudy.
Comments & Marine Sightings: 40’ reef, with deep walls. Large French Angelfish, Jawfish, and green moray eel swimming around.

Dive number 3:
Blue Channel, West End, Northside.
Depth: 55’ Viz: 45’ Temp.: 76-80°
Conditions: Current, waves, cloudy.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Strong current, large wall, with lots of caves to swim into. Huge Lizard fish, lots of lobsters and crabs.

Thursday:

Dive number 1:
Pablo’s Place, Southside, near west end point.
Depth: 69’ Viz: 65’ Temp.: 71-80°
Conditions: Surge, waves and clouds.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Surge on top, on reef. Nice wall. Hogfish, very cute.

Dive number 2:
Mandy’s Eel Garden, West End, Northside.
Depth: 52’ Viz: 52’ Temp.: 76-80°
Conditions: Surge, waves, cloudy.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Very large Hogfish with juveniles. Trunkfish and large puffer.

Dive number 3:
Wrasse Hole, Northside.
Depth: 58’ Viz: 50’ Temp.: 76-80°
Conditions: Strong current, surge, cloudy, a drift dive.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Large crabs, baby moray eel. I was met at the beginning and at the end of the dive by a very large Black Grouper.

Friday:

Dive number 1:
Peter’s Place, Northside.
Depth: 63’ Viz: 70’ Temp.: 74-80°
Conditions: Current, surge, cloudy with patchy sun.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Great canyons, nice wall with swim thrus. Large Black Grouper and saw an Eagle Ray.

Dive number 2:
Pillar Coral, West End, Northside.
Depth: 48’ Viz: 50’ Temp.: 74-80°
Conditions: Current, surge, clouds with sun.
Comments & Marine Sightings: Swim thrus, and canyons. Baby Turtle, Black Sea Horse and saw mating Parrotfish, beautiful.

No night dives and no shore diving because of bad weather.

Overall had a wonderful time, meet some very nice people from all over the United States. Realized that I have not seen much of the world and given that 70% of it is water, I have a lot of diving to do. I loved Roatan, but feel that there are just to many other places in the world I must dive before going back to Roatan. However, if I were to go back to Roatan, I would either come back in the summer, or if I returned during the rainy season, I would stay on the Southside of the island.

My wife, the non-diver, kept busy. She went snorkeling everyday, but because of the weather, she too was limited to two snorkel spots. She did a couple of health spa things; kayaked; and snorkeled with the dolphins. She opted not to horseback ride. She did go into Coxen Hole and West End to shop. She visited the Botanical Gardens, across the street from AKR. She also went to the Butterfly Farm, and got a one-on-one tour by the owner. On my last day, within 24 hours of my flight, we did the Canopy Tour, which is a zip line through the trees, with eleven platforms. Fun!

We took the late flight home…a good idea, most everybody was on the early flight, which left the resort at 10:30 am for a 1:30 flight. The flight was full. We on the other hand had a 4:30 pm flight and left the resort at 2:00 pm. We were able to get in one last snorkel trip to the Southside of the island, near Fantasy Island. Downside…our flight was delayed and we almost got stuck in Houston. We had to run so fast from the International terminal back to Domestic, after clearing Immigration and Customs. It was very close, but we made it.

The bugs were not so bad, probably because it rained almost every day. Downside, most events were cancelled…no BBQ Lunch at a beach on the West End.

Hope this helps those of you planning on visiting Roatan. Have fun.

:eyebrow:

Thanks for the info. I am going to AKR in May. We selected it for the same reason you did, some non-divers traveling with us. I am going to print out your dive reports because they were so good!

Thanks again!

TrainerAW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom