I need help from you chefs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I would like to help my sister (who can cook less then me) make some of those fancy pecan or almond sugared nuts.

Anyone have a recipe for them, or other gifty foods?

Thx!

Natasha:
I would like to help my sister (who can cook less then me) make some of those fancy pecan or almond sugared nuts.

Thx!

Nice.

I make what I always make at this time of year.

Reservations. :wink:

---
Ken

Natasha:

Thx!

I just SLOWLY heat some regular white sugar with the nuts in a frying pan, stirring almost constantly, until the sugar melts.

That's it!

The sugared slivered almonds are great in a salad of spinach, mandarin oranges, celery and green onions

Thanks Dan.
Do we put butter in the pan first so the sugar doesn't burn?
And will the sugar harden on the nuts without doing anything else? Should we pour them onto wax paper or something?

Natasha:
Thanks Dan.
Do we put butter in the pan first so the sugar doesn't burn?
And will the sugar harden on the nuts without doing anything else? Should we pour them onto wax paper or something?

Most of the time, I don't. Just heat slowly over low heat and they'll be fine. I have seen recipes that use butter or water and you can even add a hint of vanilla.
Here's one I found doing a quick search...
http://southernfood.about.com/library/rec00/bl01221b.htm

Best of Luck!

Here's one I just used and they turned out great!

Candied Pecans.....

1/4 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon REAL vanilla
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups pecan halves

Combine water and suge in a large skillet. Cook over high heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Add vanilla and cinnamon, mix, and reduce heat to medium. Add pecans. Stir constantly until the pecans take on a crystalized, dry look. (about 5 minutes) Pour onto a baking sheet and spread out. Let cool.

***The pecans were good and I've got almonds and cashews to try next!

Thx Deedles and Dan.
Today and tomorrow are cooking days for me, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom