ok this is it! mosquito or nemo???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shugar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i'm going to be getting my 1st dive computer very soon... even next week if i'm real lucky... given the choices i've narrowed down to 2: the mares nemo and the suunto mosquito.

price at this point is not a question... i'm getting either at a price you'd kill for

so my question is: which one?????

my takes: many (as in many) recreational divers in the philippines use a mosquito or a closely related suunto nitrox computer... it's sturdy, tested, has local service from an authorized dealer BUT everyone has one and it's a little chunky to use as an everyday watch even for my chunky wrists

the nemo is new, relatively untested and no real track record here. story has it that it's a little scratch prone despite the "sapphire crystal" thing mares is bragging about. it's also more expensive than the mosquito so can be a turnoff for someone wanting to take it for a spin BUT it's reeeeeeaaaaaallllll purty!!! (ok i just had to put that in, it IS a sweet design) and will look great on my wrist... and it uses the same RGBM algorithm used by suunto (only modified by mares and a guy called "winky")... mares is also a very trusted brand of dive equipment and only really goofed up on the HUB (although you must admit it was an amazing set of innovations)...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

need some input here, especially if you're using a nemo cause i don't really have anyone to ask here

Jag

PS
but the nemo sure is pretty... drool...

Jag,

do you want a computer that will look good or one that will keep you safe?

Laurens

shugar:
and (Nemo) uses the same RGBM algorithm used by suunto (only modified by mares and a guy called "winky")

“Winky” aka Dr. Bruce Wienke of Los Alamos National Laboratory, is the guy who actually developed the dive algorithm known as Reduced Gradient Bubble Model (RGBM). Suunto's computers (actually I'm not sure about the D9) do not utilize true RGBM.

Nothing against Mares - I've tried the Nemo and found it hard to read under water. I'm not a big fan of Suunto either but, IMO, I'd pick the Mosquito over the Nemo.

El Orans:
Jag,

do you want a computer that will look good or one that will keep you safe?

Laurens
seriously though,

if all i was after was looks i'd get myself a ferrari...

now, the general track record of the computers in question being on the positive then my next consideration is, of course, aesthetics... i am an artist and such things have importance with me... similar to the diff between architects and engineers... both have slightly different priorities and sensibilities when it comes to making buildings

if neither of the 2 computers were generally safe then i can be sure scubaboard members would be swooping down from the heavens with fire and brimstone comdeming it to hell... look what happened to the HUB...

so... yes... i do want a computer that looks good... because i know it will keep me safe :eyebrow:

Jag

Vie:
“Winky” aka Dr. Bruce Wienke of Los Alamos National Laboratory, is the guy who actually developed the dive algorithm known as Reduced Gradient Bubble Model (RGBM). Suunto's computers (actually I'm not sure about the D9) do not utilize true RGBM.

Nothing against Mares - I've tried the Nemo and found it hard to read under water. I'm not a big fan of Suunto either but, IMO, I'd pick the Mosquito over the Nemo.
ya i know... so this leads me to interpret that the mares RGBM model is newer (w/c it is right?) and thus more updated???

but the readability issue... ok i got that... so it's suunto 1, mares 0

Jag

Get the one with the biggest and most readable display.

shugar:
...and it's a little chunky to use as an everyday watch even for my chunky wrists

do you want to optimize for how it looks on your wrist when you're on the surface, or how it works for you when you're at depth?

shugar:
ya i know... so this leads me to interpret that the mares RGBM model is newer (w/c it is right?) and thus more updated???

Most Suunto computers (I’m not sure about the D9 as it has a deep stop capability) are NOT truly implementing the RGBM model. They are really dissolved gas, aka Haldanian, computers just like Pelagic computers (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood etc.). The Suuntos do change the Haldanian model limits on repetitive dives in response to such things as short surface intervals, exceeding 30 m, fast ascents, and reverse profiles. In normal recreational profiles, this modification of the Haldanian model is a reasonably good emulation of RGBM, but it is not true RGBM.

I have no idea what kind of “RGBM” Mares/Dacor computers uses, but being newer doesn't make it necessarily “better” - Suunto computers are quite conservative and are generally considered quite safe. The only dive computer I know that implements “true” RGBM is the HydroSpace Engineering/Abysmal Explorer.

btw your animated avatar is pretty cool.

miesemer:
Are you implying that a good looking computer isn't safe? Or are you implying a Mares computer isn't safe? If so, please provide details and references for either case.
shugar:
so... yes... i do want a computer that looks good... because i know it will keep me safe :eyebrow:
My statement is that a dive computer should be safe first. Period. If it looks like a warthog, I don't care. As long as it functions well. I'm not entering my computer in a beauty contest.

I own a Mosquito and am quite happy with it, even though it's not a watch I'd use in daily life.

Laurens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom