Diving Near Sarasota?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyDiveLog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a business trip coming up in February to Sarasota. I've dove the E side of Florida, but never the W side. Can someone give me some pointers on dive operations / sites that I should use?

MyDiveLog:
I have a business trip coming up in February to Sarasota. I've dove the E side of Florida, but never the W side. Can someone give me some pointers on dive operations / sites that I should use?

Diving the west coast of Florida is pretty "iffy" in February. The Gulf of Mexico is cold (it's already down to 56 degrees) and it can get rough as the cold fronts push through. Also, to get good viz you need to go a pretty good way offshore.

You might want to consider diving the springs or making the drive over to West Palm on the east coast.

Best option for a "quick" dive is off the shore at Venice or Bradenton, either shark tooth hunting of looking at the remains of a wreck or the patch reefs. Otherwise you have a long boat ride out. Temps might get down into the high 50's/60F on the shore and viz is completely dependant on the wind/wave conditions. Springs are a safer and warmer bet :wink: But Sarasota is a good 3-4 hour ride up to the springs!

Most of the winter beach diving here in So. Cal is mid-50's, surgy, limited vis diving, so the recommendations on spring diving seem interesting. I've never, however, done any spring diving and have no cave/cavern experience. I have done 300+ dives and am an instructor. Can you give me some direction on the nearest/best springs (how far to Ginny Springs)? and, if any of you dive there regularly and are willing to buddy up in Feb, I'll return the favor when you come to So. Cal!

Phil

MyDiveLog:
Most of the winter beach diving here in So. Cal is mid-50's, surgy, limited vis diving, so the recommendations on spring diving seem interesting. I've never, however, done any spring diving and have no cave/cavern experience. I have done 300+ dives and am an instructor. Can you give me some direction on the nearest/best springs (how far to Ginny Springs)? and, if any of you dive there regularly and are willing to buddy up in Feb, I'll return the favor when you come to So. Cal!

Phil
Phil,

I can fully understand, however the beach there and on our west coast are a little different, no kelp to start with :wink: There are plenty of springs around, you can drive up to Ocala and hit one of the commercial places there for $30 (Paradise, Devils Den or Blue Grotto) - all around 140 miles from Sarasota on I-75N. Ginnie is a further 80 miles north of those, $27 gets you in there. All these caverns are "OW-safe", so you just need a buddy as they have a main guideline to follow in and out - take your lights. There is a group coming down on the w/e 2/20 (Presidents day etc) from NC, there is a thread in their section. I might be up there that weekend, might be able to make others - when are you thinking of coming over? Probably be back over your way in the summer (warmer water and more time on my hands) and will try to hit SoCal, maybe NoCal too - at least hit up Mo2vation for a dive or two :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom