Cleaning Rubber Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverMo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all! I was just wondering what everyone uses to clean up rubber fins? I "rescued" some slightly abused Atomic Aquatic fins, and they are covered in white residue, and just look kind of filthy. Hope they just need a good scrubbing! Thanks.

When I bought my Jetfins, they were still new in box but had been sitting for quite some time so of course had accumulated the white powdery stuff. I found I didn't need to do anything at all, as the residue rubbed off all on its own.

I have to agree with freefloat (assuming she meant the following), just dive with them and they will always look "fine" (read properly used)

Bill

if they've been used in a pool you can get white gunk on them which is difficult to get off (it's some special type of sealant).

If regular soap and water doesn't work (which it won't if the residue is this) try a product called "goof off"

As well, for black marks, and other stuff (specially slates) the Mr Clean Magic Eraser is fabulous!!!!

opiniongirl:
As well, for black marks, and other stuff (specially slates) the Mr Clean Magic Eraser is fabulous!!!!

Uh, most rubber fins are already black?

owlbill:
I have to agree with freefloat (assuming she meant the following), just dive with them and they will always look "fine" (read properly used)

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. The white coating didn't stick around for more than the first few open water dives.

Well, they had been previously used, but then left alone in a divebag for sometime - long enough for the fins to have taken on a curve where there shouldn't be one (hope it goes away with use). When I bought my twin-jets (new) they had the white powdery stuff on them, but this different. Just kinda old and weathered looking, if that makes any sense. I know soap and water - that's kind of obvious - I was just wondering if there was some kind of special compound that works great on rubber, kind of a rejuvenator. If not, then a plain old bubble bath it is! Thanks.

DiverMo:
Well, they had been previously used, but then left alone in a divebag for sometime - long enough for the fins to have taken on a curve where there shouldn't be one (hope it goes away with use).
I'm not sure if this was a good way to straighten my fins out or not but . . . I left my fins leaning up against a wall to dry - in the hot sun they developed a "slight" bent - so I layed them on a flat board, put them in the bed of my truck out in the hot sun and in a couple of days they were flat again.

For what it's worth,
Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
put them in the bed of my truck out in the hot sun and in a couple of days they were flat again.

For what it's worth,
Aloha, Tim

Sure, easy for you to say! The hottest day this week is gonna be 24 degrees F. (Michigan)

lol - I kind of wondered where you were after I posted that . . . oh well guess that means you'll just have to come to Maui. . .

DiverMo:
Sure, easy for you to say! The hottest day this week is gonna be 24 degrees F. (Michigan)

Back
Top Bottom