USS Oriskany arrives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NUTTZ

Reaction score
I just saw on a Pensacola News site the Oriskany arrived in Pensacola yesterday and is in port. Hopefully they will get it to the bottom early summer like there saying, but it did take this long to get there so who knows. I guess it is just a little closer now.

NUTTZ:
I just saw on a Pensacola News site the Oriskany arrived in Pensacola yesterday and is in port. Hopefully they will get it to the bottom early summer like there saying, but it did take this long to get there so who knows. I guess it is just a little closer now.

orisk501206cq.gif

that's one huge ship!

NUTTZ:
I just saw on a Pensacola News site the Oriskany arrived in Pensacola yesterday ...

I see from the web page of MBT Divers the following information: "The Oriskany will be placed on clean white sand bottom approximately 22.5nm SSE of Pensacola Pass (17nm due south of Santa Rosa Island) in 212 feet of water (1.5 nm SE of the Chevron Rig) . The top of the structure is planned to be at 50', and the flight deck around 110'. Visibility in the area is commonly 60-100'+, with water temps ranging from the mid to high 80's in the summer to the upper 60's in the winter. Currents in the area normally range from none to light." The top of the superstructure will be at 50 feet, the flight deck will be at 110 feet (so the superstructure is 60 feet tall), and the bottom will be at 212 feet.

I wrote an email to the Florida Fish and Wildlife about this location. They are really set on placing this ship in 212 feet of water. In my opinion, for what it is worth, this location will result in numberous diver injuries and deaths. With the flight deck at 110 feet, the temptation to plan a dive to that depth will be great. There will even be people going to the bottom. An alternative would be to place the ship so that 10 feet of the superstructure extends out of the water. This places the flight deck at 50 feet and the bottom at about 150 feet. This would be no more of a navigation risk than all the oil rigs in that area. I would appreciate your opinions. There is still time to get the location changed if we get enough people involved.

Some of us think 212 would be a perfect depth.... allowing it to be a training site for more advanced courses; rather than having to travel to south florida; or doing a sand dive.

J-Lay,
I tend to agree with you in one aspect, but the other consideration is that placing it in shallower water may tempt inexperienced divers to do something even more dangerous, make penetration dives.

A carrier is a BIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGG boat.

I think at such a shallow depth the temptation to enter the ship would be just too great.

jlayman800:

I see from the web page of MBT Divers the following information: "The Oriskany will be placed on clean white sand bottom approximately 22.5nm SSE of Pensacola Pass (17nm due south of Santa Rosa Island) in 212 feet of water (1.5 nm SE of the Chevron Rig) . The top of the structure is planned to be at 50', and the flight deck around 110'. Visibility in the area is commonly 60-100'+, with water temps ranging from the mid to high 80's in the summer to the upper 60's in the winter. Currents in the area normally range from none to light." The top of the superstructure will be at 50 feet, the flight deck will be at 110 feet (so the superstructure is 60 feet tall), and the bottom will be at 212 feet.

I wrote an email to the Florida Fish and Wildlife about this location. They are really set on placing this ship in 212 feet of water. In my opinion, for what it is worth, this location will result in numberous diver injuries and deaths. With the flight deck at 110 feet, the temptation to plan a dive to that depth will be great. There will even be people going to the bottom. An alternative would be to place the ship so that 10 feet of the superstructure extends out of the water. This places the flight deck at 50 feet and the bottom at about 150 feet. This would be no more of a navigation risk than all the oil rigs in that area. I would appreciate your opinions. There is still time to get the location changed if we get enough people involved.

First off- this ship is not being sunk -JUST- for divers. The primary purporse of the artificial reef program is to encourage marine life.

Second- thisissue was addressed at an earlier date by the State.

Third- there are no oil rigs that I am aware of in that area (I have dived the site, and am a native of the area who has been on these waters for the last 18 years).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom