Sport Diver program on OLN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Featured wrecks in the Great Lakes. Some of the folks on the show were Larry McElroy, Mark Kistner and Lee Oberlee. A few of the named wrecks--Barnum, Cedarville and Sandusky. Looked to be very interesting diving. I've decided that this is a must do on my diving list. Which leads to a question for those of you who dive this area regularly.

What experience level and training do you recommend? Also what level of exposure protection is required. It looked like most were in dry suits but some may have been in wetsuits. If wetsuits are acceptable would you recommend 5mm or 7mm. I'm going to assume a farmer john would be preferred over a full suit.

Lost Yooper et al you guys have got a neat place to dive!!

Did not see this show but have dove all three wrecks and they are spectactular!! Where else can you dive 100+ year old wooden wrecks that are intact.

These wrecks are for advanced divers. First it is the Great Lakes so it is cold. If diving wetsuit I would do it in Aug or Sept when the lakes are the warmest, otherwise water can be in the 40's or low 50s. Most of the wrecks are below 80' with some to 140'. There can also be quite a current. But don't get me wrong, they are well worth the dive.

The Cederville is an iron ore ship that is split and rolled almost all the way over. This can be very disorienting to dive. This is one of my favorites along with the Eber Ward, (this one is in 140'). If you dive the Ward, look for Sam, the burbot (sp). He is a 4' fresh water fish that looks like a cross between a cat fish and an eel. He loves to have his picture taken.

There are great books on Great Lakes diving along with some good websites.

Yooper must not have seen your post as I am sure he can give you alot of info as he dives there alot.

Yooper......are you out there

Yeah, I've been on all three of those wrecks. For our type of diving up here, these are pretty simple dives. I've never seen a significant current on any of these wrecks. The cold 50F water makes them advanced for warm water divers, however.

The Cedarville is the premier wreck of the Straits of Mackinaw, but I don't particularly like it. It's a monster of a ship that is practically upside down. It can be quite disorienting, especially inside, and is quite silty inside. I prefer the old wooden wrecks.

Of the three wrecks named, I like the Sandusky the best as far as a wreck goes. That one sits in about 80' of water with vis sometimes exceeing 100' in the spring. I've been on it so many times that it's kinda old now. It's a beautiful wreck though.

The Barnum is a decent wooden wreck in 60' of water or so.

As far as experience goes, these aren't bad wrecks for recreational divers. I would take a new cold water diver to any of these -- in fact, I have. A new, warm water diver, not used to cumbersome equipment, would probably find the thick wetsuit, hood, and gloves to be way too much to handle regardless of depth. I would recommend a 7mm wetsuit (farmer john and jacket) with a hood and gloves as a minimum.

Yes, we have quite the playground up here. I'm surprised they didn't mention the Eber Ward which is my favorite in the Straits sitting in 140' of water.

Come on up!

Mike

I missed the show today but I know it was more wrecks in the Great Lakes. I told my LDS guy that we really need to get a trip lined up to dive these wrecks. Would you guys be interested in helping us line up a trip and possibly join us?

Absolutely! Let me know when and I'll set you up with a first class charter. I'll even show you around the wrecks if you want. Are thinking about doing it this summer?

Mike

I would love to make it this summer. I've pointed two of my main buddies to this thread. Another guy I need to get ahold of via e-mail and see if he interested. I'm pretty sure he would be though.

Definitely would be great to have you show us around.

Here's my e-mail:

thelostyooper@cs.com

Keep me in the loop. There was a few other guys from down south (Campana and Okie Caver among them) that were trying to organize something as well. I don't know whatever happened to that. More the merrier!

Mike

Hi Mike

I just wanted to let you know that they did show the Eberward. The show that you all are talking about was in like a three or four part series. When I was looking to set up a charter in the Straits of Mackinac i talked to Larry from Montcalm Scuba in Detroit, he sent me a video which was all the shows together on one tape, with all commercials cut out. I will bring you up a copy when we come up for the charter in June. Hearing everyone talking about these wrecks more and more, I just don't know if I can wait till June.:loopy:

I guess I will just have to!!

Thanks to all of you for keeping my dream alive:cheer:

Jeff Great lakes diver

For all you divers out there that have OLN, keep an eye out for a show called "Mysteries of the Deep". It was on two days ago on OLN about a wreck in lake Erie. The St James. Me and Mike were just talking about it and I forgot to mention it. The show was spectacular. One guy went the wrong way and had to come up off one of the masts doing decompression from 165' of water. It is not on this weekend, thru Saturday anyway but keep and eye out for it. I was going to tape it but didn't have everything set up and would not have gotten it so amen for Take 2's......

Jeff Great lakes diver

The Eber Ward is a nice wreck. All things considered, it's my favorite wreck in the Straits. There's a fair amount to see inside it too. The Ward is a lot like the Vienna in Whitefish. Unfortunately, both of these wrecks see a lot of close calls every year with divers.

The St. James looks really nice too. Wait until you see the Samuel Mather in Whitefish Bay though. That's a really nice wreck, but is kinda hard to get to.

I sure wouldn't mind having a tape of the wrecks. Thanks.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom