40 Fathom Grotto ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40 fathom grotto owned and run by Mr Scuba - Hal Watts. Its a private spring operation, you have to dive with an official guide (there are several on this board - NetDoc and GDI i know of). Its deep, like 90ft at the shallow end, 240 af the deep end, but there are platforms around it for training at shallower depths. There are various things hung up or on the floor to look at, bikes, planes, cars etc. Every time i hear about this dive i hear the viz is quite poor, but due to that and its depth its good for technical diving training, even if its not that fun to go around. With your dive experience and i am assuming no thought of using it for training, might i suggest hitting one of the other springs around Ocala - Paradise, Blue Grotto, Devils Den, or further up say at Ginnie if you want to hit fresh water? I am not making assumptions about your diving, just wondering why you might want to dive there - my first time will be for training and thats all :wink:

I conduct Master Diver training in there for their Deep 130ft checkout. Pretty dark and spooky...and cold. There are a few things to see but for clarity and overall diving I would look at other places to dive. I use 40 Fathoms for training only and only for advanced or master divers. Not much to do but follow ropes and ride the motorcycle. Look into some of the springs Simon pointed out as well. Hal Watts is pretty strict on your depth limits and as a basic diver you can not exceed 60 feet and yes he has been know to check your computer. Advanced is 100 feet and Master is 130feet as I recall. You have to have all kinds of c-cards to go deeper than that. You can take lessons there too, he has his own certifying agency called PSA. Well good luck planning your trip and if you need any more info on the other springs ask Simon...haha...just kidding...you can ask me too.

Brian

It has been a few years since I dove there, but I remember that the surface was covered with duck weed so no sunlight penatrated into the water. However, in Feb. the duck weed should be in remission and the dive not so dark. All of the other stuff Simon and Zendiver said are true except I went to 130' with only a OW cert. Your best bet is to call there for info. 352-368-7974. :christmas

metaldector:
It has been a few years since I dove there, but I remember that the surface was covered with duck weed so no sunlight penatrated into the water. However, in Feb. the duck weed should be in remission and the dive not so dark. All of the other stuff Simon and Zendiver said are true except I went to 130' with only a OW cert. Your best bet is to call there for info. 352-368-7974. :christmas

How come that doesn't surprize me ? :wink:

Jean

Should I take that as an insult! I think not. How you doing Jean. I'm looking for a dive buddy on 12/26. You interested?

SCUBADIVINERIK:
Could someone PM me with any info on this area. Im looking for prices to dive and for tanks, classes, facilities and etc. I am trying to plan a trip in Feb and any info would help.

-E
Hey Erick as the other said Hal's 40 Fathoms is a great training place for tech and deep,Call "Devils Den" they can set you up with a dive instructor,as they did for me,then your teacher may take you to other sites! BlueGrotto for your deep dive 90+ and viz too!! I had to do my navigation skills at Hal's=do to the lack of viz I could not cheat!!and thank my teacher for the training,also after 60' the viz opens up,and all the stuff he has hung all over the place !!Also his dive shop has it all!
So have fun the springs are great to train at, weather dose not call the dives,
Brad

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom