NorthWest FL(12/28-1/1) Where/When are we diving? Morrison? Cypress?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Figured I'd go ahead and make a thread for this instead of taggin it onto the back of last weeks Morrison Report thread.

I'm game pretty much from Dec 28th until New Years day. Looking to spend as little money as possible and willing to drive as far as...say...Tallahassee.

It seemed as though we had some people interested in Morrison on the 28th - can we get a head count?

Its pouring quite a bit right now(ugh!). Morrison may very well end up getting flooded out again(badly) - just when it was starting to clean up! http://www.srh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?tae&carf1 NOAAs predictions aren't promising.

Cypress... I've never dived it, but I'm looking forward to - it seems pretty sweet judging from pictures and jviehe's posts, but we need boats. I have a smallish Zodiac, good for 2, possibly 3 divers if we get real close and personal - but with 3 it won't plane(I'm not sure if thats such a good idea anyway). It drafts no more than 2', how deep(or shallow) is Holmes Creek? How far off is it from the boat launch? I've read ~ 1 mile to about 4 miles. Should we expect river levels here to be similar to Morrison, and the lowly visibility that comes along with it?

We have friggin snow in our weather forecast, what the hell? This is the south!

The 28th is a go for me - I'd be up for trying Cypress if some one knows if it floods like Morrison. Maybe Alamo knows??? Morrison or even Vortex would be fine depending on flood condition of Morrison. Iced tea was fun but I'd rather have natural spring water :D.

Damnit, we better go dive Morrison right now! Before it floods! Cypress isnt on a major river so I think its harder for it to flood. Ive been there once when Holmes Creek was flooded and tannic water was half way up the run to the springs, but the spring was perfectly clear.

Here is my write up on it - http://northfloridadiver.net/sites/cypress_spring.htm

I have to work (yuk!) the 28th and 29th but would certainly be up for something over the weekend--anywhere from Thursday the 30th to Sunday the 2nd. It looks like the weather might be a consideration. There's always ABWA in Pelham for the 31st--cookout, fireworks and a midnight dive.

Hell, I'm at work right now :) about to head to Diamondhead, MS to do a job. No Morrison for me, not today atleast - today is definately the day to do it.

I suppose if I only take me and one other on the Zodiac, I could fit another small gas tank and a chainsaw on-board(I'll be nervous!).

Lots and lots of rain yesterday and last night, cloudy today with no rain on the forecast, and 40% chance of a "wintery mix" tomorrow... Why in the hell do we have to worry about snow here? It looks like we'll have more rain mid-next week as well...

jviehe - it looks like you're the last person to get to Cypress, did it look like a small Zodiac could fit its floaty butt up Holmes Creek and the spring run?

I could get ahold of an Ocean Kayak if not, its only for one person(me :) ). I think we'd have an issue with everyone else wanting to go being able to get out there - I'm sure its a long swim!

If Cypress doesn't work out for everyone and Morrison is flooded out too badly, there is always Vortex... I could probably find $25 to make sure I get wet :11ztongue

Other than snow/sleet today, we should be clear of precipitation until the 30th-ish.

Precip was freezing on my car on the way home from work this morning. I thought I saw a flake or two floating amid the drizzle.

Sure, but it looks to be back in the high 50s and even mid 60sF by mid-next week - toasty!

Edit: NOAA shows the rivers cresting on the 27th now, if we manage without any rain all next week - Morrison could be clear-ish by New Years weekend.

I'm still down for whatever on the 28th - air-temps are supposed to pick back up to the mid50s, even 60sF. That sounds wonderfull considering the 30F temps we have right now(mid-day!).

If we decide to do Cypress, I need to know way before hand so I can pull out the Zodiac(of doom), check for leaks, and check the motor. I haven't cranked her up in about 4 months. Or arrange to get ahold of an Ocean Kayak.

I'm still game for the 28th. Unless there's enough boats I think Vortex will be the spot. We could do a drive-by at Morrison just to check and then up to Vortex if the color brown prevails.

Sounds good to me, lets plan on that for the 28th.

I really want to do Cypress, but I'd like to do it when we haven't had so much rain - just in case. Its alot of work to pack a boat :) I want to make sure its gonna be worth the effort in the long run!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom