Thursday, December 23 weigh-in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm up in the middle of the night (feel hyper for some reason) and decided to kick off the weigh in for Thurs.

I am the same weight as 2-3 weeks ago when I last posted. Instead of getting depressed, I have decided that I am proud of maintaining my weight throughout the holidays, thus far. So much celebrating and excess, everywhere, sheesh! Also, I normally gain premenstrual weight, and I have not, this month. (TMI, sorry!). But we have to look for those victories where we can grab em, right?

Easy to get frustrated/depressed about seemingly no progress. No depression allowed, this only leads to emotional eating. For those of you who lost this week, my hood is off to you! That is a feat worth bragging about. Come on, people- inspire me! I gotta start exercising!

Foo

Down 1 pound for me this week...

Foo, if I may ask, what is your "plan" for weight loss/increasing fitness? Since you're a diver, I'll make an analogy here that you'll understand... Would you jump in the water to do a dive without knowing things like water depth, water temp, the amount of air in your tank, let alone what's inside of it, etc.?

The point I'm trying to make is that it is not only easier, but a much better practice to plan things out with regard to nutrition (notice I didn't say diet) and exercise. "Plan your dive and dive your plan" could just as easily be "Plan your life and live your plan." That may sound too structured, but it certainly helps. I'm not saying that you need to have every last minute of each hour planned out, but before you go to bed tonight, you should have a really good idea of exactly what you are going to eat tomorrow and what you will do for exercise.

If doing this kind of stuff isn't your strong suit, or you just don't know where to start, I highly recommend "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips. This book was recommended to me by Bob Sherwood and I am thankful every day that he did. It was exactly the right catalyst to get me to think of body in a healthy way. There's no magic pill, diet, ab-roller, etc. on this planet that works as well as proper nutrition and appropriate exercise (believe me, I've tried practically all of them with no long term success).

As for myself (after finishing the 12 week "Body for Life" program), I've chosen training for triathlons and running races to be the exercise that I need to do and I've had to increase my caloric intake in order to continue losing weight (sounds weird, huh?) at the level of workouts that I'm doing. However, the habits that I learned with "Body for Life" have served me well and continue to work. That's the other thing with this program that works so well, you're making a 12 week commitment to yourself. That's it. At the end of those 12 weeks, you just commit another 12 weeks, then another 12 weeks, etc. Anyone can do anything for 12 weeks right? :)

This is a tough time of the year to eat sensibly, but it doesn't have to be that bad. "Plan your eating and eat your plan" "Plan your exercise and exercise your plan" Temptation is hardly a match for planning and habit :)

-Frank

Up a few pounds again to my rounding off weight of 232#, i think a couple of weeks ago i was at 227, but a couple of weeks without much exercise, eating too much at the xmas dinners and such really doesnt help :wink: Get a C for this year, must try harder next - i did lose ~20# this year, so its a start, just want to get rid of another 10-15 next year and keep it off. When my achilles heals again i might start running, biking and other such activities again.

I maintained which is pretty positive. I actually managed to exercise yesterday and ride the bike. Once dinner settles tonight I'm going to do the same thing. I need to probably take off Christmas eve so I don't get too gung ho and over do it. I doubt Christmas day will be too exciting early so I'll get up and work out early then too. I can't wait until Jan. 3rd when I go back to the "real gym". I plan on being very reasonable with my eating until I actually get back to the gym, even when we're in Elko Nevada next week. They've got some kind of gym there too. I may even work out while I'm gone. I've been pretty unmotivated until actually the last few days. I'd do good one day and bad the next. I'm getting a new scale for Christmas so I can get rid of my old 6 dollar scale that tells me a different weight every time I get on it. I'll post a before pic right at the new year then post others every few weeks as I go along. This board is a lifesaver. Can't forget to mention my supportive wife either, read that post too if you want. I'm miserable being a fat boy and I can't wait to get back in the gym. Hope everyone has a great holiday season. See you all at the weigh in next week. Take care, Greg

woooohoooo!! Down 1! Not much in itself, but over the course of the last how many weeks, it's 35#!! And I am below 240 for the first time in a long timel,,,,,,

239 :). I agree with greg, this board s a lifesaver. 7 months ago I was at 274, witin haling distance of 300. Found this board just at the right time. And yesterday I ran two miles no nstop and felt fantastic :) all around good

This is my last weigh in for the year, off to Saba for a week of diving on the Carib Explorer II . Have a great CHristmas and a Happy New Year!!

Chris

scuba-punk:
Down 1 pound for me this week...

Foo, if I may ask, what is your "plan" for weight loss/increasing fitness?

If doing this kind of stuff isn't your strong suit, or you just don't know where to start, I highly recommend "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips.

-Frank

Thanks for the input, Frank. Congratulations on the loss, and your obvious commitment to being fit. I have read the Body for Life book, and I did find it to be inspiring, also. Thanks for reminding me of the importance of planning- I will put some thought to that. I did buy a rug to put under my treadmill, so that I can move it into my den, rather that in the spare room with all the other "stuff." (Surely I'm not the only one with a "stuff" room. Scuba gear fits nicely.)

Five years ago, I lost a great deal of weight through a low-fat, high fiber food plan. I have maintained this weight loss, but never reached my goal. I exercised faithfully for 3.5 years, then suffered some medical problems that really put the stops to activity for about 4 months. I then started walking (which I love), but I have not been consistent. I do let life get in the way of sticking with my regime, and I hear you about thinking ahead. I've found that this strategy works great when going out to eat- decide before you get there what you're going to order, and stick with it. You will make much wiser choices!

If we keep doing things the same way, we can expect the same results. To see change, we must change our actions.

Foo

Up 1 lbs, however Im not going to beat myself up over it, I know why Im up. And Fingers crossed for a better weigh in next week. Happy Holidays to all.Turtle Gal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom