Using Split fins in Strong Current!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am about to purchase a pair of Apollo Bio Extra Torque Fins but am discouraged by the rumour that splits dont work well in currents. Is it true? How is it possible for a fin to "not work well" in current if it is generating stronger propulsion ins still waters? Anyone care to shed light on this?

I used my Tusa splits in Cozumel last month, had no problems keeping up with the group, I think I actually did better than most when it came to back tracking to get a photo. I think they will be fine.

i have scubapro twin speeds and often find myself moving faster than the rest of the group when diving.

I have the Apollo Bio fins and find that they work great in currents. I'm much faster with less effort (than using non-split fins) and haven't had a leg cramp since I've been using them.

How is it possible for a fin to "not work well" in current if it is generating stronger propulsion ins still waters?

It's not. OTOH, I don't believe your assumption of them generating stronger propulsion to be true.

The issue is with the kick.

With paddle fins there are TWO ways to accelerate... kick harder OR faster.

With splits there is ONE way to accelerate... kick faster.

Those who don't (or can't) make the adjustment think they are worthless.

Those who can evolve their kicking style love them.

I have never had a problem in current, though I try to avoid currents most of the time.

SeaHound:
I am about to purchase a pair of Apollo Bio Extra Torque Fins but am discouraged by the rumour that splits dont work well in currents.

With the Bio fins, you need to shorten your kick swing i.e. do not move your legs so far apart on the vertical plane like one does with conventional fins. You also have to kick faster. I found it hard to make the switch and as a result use my Scubapro Jetfins alot more than my Bio fins.

IMO the “extra torque” version is pretty pointless. When you try Bio fins for the first time, the sensation is like not wearing any fins at all - this gave many people the impression that Bio fins do not work. I think the extra torque/stiffer split fins now appearing on the market is an attempt to answer the “no feel” concern. I’ve tried the stiffer Bio fins, some Oceanic split fins as well as Atomic Aquatic’s and to be honest I still think that the softer Bio fin Pro is still the best out of the lot.

I've used the Atomics in the current at Elphinstone and they worked really well in my opinion. I've a pair of BioFin XT's to try soon...

Made good progress and my legs ached less than my old fins. Can't ask for more.

http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/AtomicFins.htm

Bought the fins, made the adjustments...went back to my Mares Avantis.

As Netdoc and Vie noted, splits work best with a shallow, rapid flutter kick. If a diver stresses out in a current and starts making big powerful kicks they aren't going to work very well.

Walter: there have been various independent tests where both the fastest speeds and the fastest sustainable speeds were achieved with split fins.

The is a case where the saying "different strokes for different folks" very much holds true. Personally I didn't like the feeling of splits, even though an objective test showed they propelled me faster with less effort than other fins. Others I dive with love the splits.

Back
Top Bottom