Do I have to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NauticalbutNice

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, probably a bad title.

But a couple of friends of mine go to the gym regularly. They've been really nice about the fact that their mate now wants to get fit for diving/lose weight. They've said I can go along with them and help them out.

Problem - I really really hate the idea of going to the gym. I don't mind going to the pool, but the idea of the gym brings me out in a cold sweat. I just don't want to be the totally unfit one dying on the machines.

How the hell do I get over my fear of gyms by the New Year?

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Start at the bottom, before you know it, you'll be doing just fine.......just start.

NBN, I will tell you from being a gym junkie for years that everyone, especially the long timers at the gym, will respect you for just getting in there and working out. I'm going to start back in just over a week and even though I'm not in the best shape of my life, I know all the old timers will be glad to see me. As you make progress they'll notice and give you compliments. Before you know it you'll be part of the family and will really enjoy going and will actually miss not getting to go if something keeps you from it. The "regulars" know how good they feel when they go to the gym and will be excited that you have chosen to get into better shape and share that feeling with them. Good luck and as Nike would say, JUST DO IT! Greg

gt2003:
NBN, I will tell you from being a gym junkie for years that everyone, especially the long timers at the gym, will respect you for just getting in there and working out. I'm going to start back in just over a week and even though I'm not in the best shape of my life, I know all the old timers will be glad to see me. As you make progress they'll notice and give you compliments. Before you know it you'll be part of the family and will really enjoy going and will actually miss not getting to go if something keeps you from it. The "regulars" know how good they feel when they go to the gym and will be excited that you have chosen to get into better shape and share that feeling with them. Good luck and as Nike would say, JUST DO IT! Greg

100% agree! remember everyone started from somewhere! I have been working out for many years started at a scrwaney 129lbs with noodles for arms and chicken legs. I was so skinny it is surprising that my head did not fall through my butt hanging myself. I am now up to 160 and happy with myself. Remember it is a gym not a meat market everyone will be concentrating on theirselves not you...So, go for it! you will feel much better! once you get in the routine it becomes easier...

Being nervous about going to a gym for the first time is a very common issue with many new clients of mine. It reminds many of the feeling they had on the first day of high school or college.

Sure, you might see very fit men and women working out there, and they might look like they've done a lot just to look good at the gym. Those people are typically more worried about what people think of them than whether or not there are new people at the gym with them. In fact, most people at the gym are actually there just to get a workout in and go home.

Another thing to keep in mind- stop before you are dying on the machines. <g> Start out easy, and gradually increase the intensity and volume of your exercise over time. It is very easy to go too hard the first few times, leaving you extremely sore the next few days. This is not a necessary step to getting started on a fitness program. Don't let your more experienced friends goad you into doing too much early on. At first, your frequency of exercise is much more important than intensity.

If you want to see what a good beginning fitness program for divers might look like, go to http://www.divefitness.com/html/workouts.html and click on the "Zero to Hero" workout. I've been a little slack at doing the weekly updates since my daughter was born in September, but that will change once I'm back from the holidays. <g>

Good luck and have fun!

Cameron

NauticalbutNice:
Ok, probably a bad title.

But a couple of friends of mine go to the gym regularly. They've been really nice about the fact that their mate now wants to get fit for diving/lose weight. They've said I can go along with them and help them out.

Problem - I really really hate the idea of going to the gym. I don't mind going to the pool, but the idea of the gym brings me out in a cold sweat. I just don't want to be the totally unfit one dying on the machines.

How the hell do I get over my fear of gyms by the New Year?

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:
If you don't mind going to the pool why not start off the new year that way? I decided a couple of years ago that I'd rather burn my calories swimming than lifting weights and "dying on the machines".

CameronMartz:
If you want to see what a good beginning fitness program for divers might look like, go to http://www.divefitness.com/html/workouts.html and click on the "Zero to Hero" workout. I've been a little slack at doing the weekly updates since my daughter was born in September, but that will change once I'm back from the holidays. <g>

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks, Cameron, love your site!

Doc

FYI, early January is prime time for first timers at the gym. It will be packed for at least the next month with "resolutionists" - but most of those will give up when they don't see short-run payoff. The influx will abate, and then you can get down to business. If it is possible, a short term contract with a trainer is a good idea. He/she can show you how to use the equipment properly.

As already stated, most of the people at a gym are there to get their workout done and go. We're not there to mingle, have a fashion show, or be snooty to the newbies. Chances are good that you won't be the only unfit person there, but when you stick with it, you won't be unfit...

Unless you're thinking about the few introverted machine junkies, most of the regulars will notice you - but, they won't notice the fact that you are unfit. They'll see you week after week, working on improving yourself. THAT is what they will notice. That is what they will encourage you about.

No need to die on any machine. If you or your friends don't know how to use the machines, talk to the gym staff. You're doing this to get stronger and more fit, not to hurt yourself, so take it easy at first and build from there. Just remember this - Always do your best. Why? Becuase at that moment in time, you aren't capable of more and to do less than your best should be unacceptable to you. Everything else comes in time.

Here's a little anecdote for you and I'll shut up...
In order to keep myself honest with regards to my workouts, I signed up for a winter running race series. Stepping up to the same starting line as some of the "serious" runners can certainly feel intimidating. I feel like a hippo sloshing through a water hole with a bunch of gazelles. But, I'm not there to compete with any of them. I'm there to do my best, to measure myself against what I did the last time. Well in yesterday's race, with about half a mile to go (5k race), my legs were starting to get tired and I pretty much felt like walking. I had badly sprained my ankle a few weeks ago and just didn't know if I had it in me to finish the race running. From out of the blue, one of the guys in the 10k race (2 laps of the course) patted me on the back and gave me some encouraging words as he passed me. As he ran past, I saw that he was wearing an Ironman Lake Placid finishers shirt. That was all I needed to kick my butt in gear and finish strong (well, as strong as I could). Imagine that, someone took the time out of his race to encourage me. In a race!

I guess what I'm trying to say in the long winded way that I do, is that everyone starts at their own beginning. Those who have gone before you know how much effort it takes to not only get the ball rolling, but how much effort it takes to keep it in motion. Most of them are more than willing to encourage you along the way. Once the middle of February comes around and the "resolutionists" have stopped going to the gym, you might be surprised how many new "friends" you make with your fellow gym rats :)

Go for it. It's one of the best things you can do for yourself and your loved ones.

-Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom