Mid January in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Where to go?

What are the conditions typically like this time of year?

Kind of hit or miss...beautiful one day...blown out the next....water tmp about 72

saying:
Where to go?

Check out http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_history.php?station=mlrf1 and hope for the best! Winter diving is definitely "hit-or-miss"... with beautiful conditions between the cold fronts. Come prepared, and have a backup plan, in case your trip gets blown-out. The Everglades are awesome in January. Enjoy!

Would I be ok warmthwise in a 3mm shorty in the next couple of weeks or do I need to go for the full length 3mm?

I was down last year at Thanksgiving and wore a 3 mil shorty and was 'mostly' warm. But for my trip in January, I bought a 3 mil full suit. If it's darn cold, I can put on the shorty as a core warmer and am sure to stay warm. I wear a 'beanie' too, as I find it helps keep me warmer. Most of this is fairly new gear, as up here in Michigan I always dive in a drysuit with an attached hood....

We'll be diving in Islamorada on the 15th and 16th with the folks at Ocean Quest (weather permitting). You are invited to join us if you want. Check my other post in "trips" about Islamorada in January for more information about the dive operator and when and where I'll be.

Drop a note if you're interested. :)

I dove in the Keys in January in a shorty, most of the locals thought I was crazy but it was warm enough for me. As mentioned the water is usually a cozy 72 so depending on your body you might be ok.

Tamas,
It's all what you're used to. When I moved here from Colorado during the month of December... my 8 month old son (now 15 and knows it all) was wearing shorts, t-shirt and barefooted... the locals here in Melbourne thought we were nuts... I think they believed we were actually cruel to our son, because he had so few clothes on... well... it was in the 70's... that was warm for us....

Now... cold water is anything below 80...

I dive with a 3mm full suit in the winter....

Al

I was in KW for Thanksgiving, and I used a full 3mm. The water was high 70's low 80's...2 days later it was MUCH colder when we were snorkeling off of Ft. Zach.

Hit or miss definately!

alright, I'll go with the shorty and see what happens. FM_Tom, I'd love to join, but my buddies and are taking over the sixpack HMS Minnow sunday morning for a pre-wedding dive (wedding is sunday night!). Wish I could join you Saturday, but we have all that pre-wedding meet the relatives stuff going on. I went to law school with a great kid from Frankenmuth, I need to get up there to have some fried chicken one of these days. Happy new year!

saying:
Where to go?

I just got back from diving in islamorada. First day of diving water was high 60's I wore a dry suit second day was blown out. Third day was blown out in the morning but winds changed and died down so we dove in the afternoon. Water then was in the mid 70's so it changes constantly take all of the gear you own I would rather be to warm then to cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom