Nikonos SB 103 strobe with digital camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeC

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend has a Nikonos SB103 strobe, from when she used a Nikonos V 35mm camera. Can the SB 103 be used with an Olympus C-4000 and the Oly PT-010 housing?

Yes, I know that the PT-010 is discountinued BUT she one still in the box unused.

I dont think that it will work. The only way to trigger a strobe with C4000 is by using internal flash to trigger a slave strobe. Since C4000 has preflash system for TTL, you will need a strobe that can ignore preflash. Nikonos SB103 is not one of them.
I think you would need at least an Oly C5050 or similar which will let you turn off TTL and use internal flash only as a trigger for slave strobe or has an option to hardwire to strobe.

I own a C4000/PT10 and an SB105 and the two really won't talk to each other due to the inability to turn off the pre flash on the C4000.

The SB103 was recalled as they had some problems with a couple of them exploding due to a buildup of hydrogen gas. Nikon replaced my SB103 with a new SB105 even though I bought my SB103 used with a Nikonos III. I am not sure if Nikon is still exchanging them, but it is worth looking into.

Yeah, I heard the same thing on the 103... being recalled to a 105... so you might check it out and get an upgrade.. no cost at that time... I was thinking of using a 105 with my new 5050.. was just going to get a synch cord with a fiber optic end and thought it might work.. or thought of even trying it with the 105 in "Slave Mode"??? don't know if that would work at all... someone else might have tried it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom