Which area of Roatan has the best diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlobalArb

Reaction score
Hello!

You guys and girls are great...I've been lurking on this forum for a LONG time and love all the information you provide.

My girlfriend and I were certified about a year ago, right before a trip to Anguilla, Saba, and St. Martin. Unfortunately, we were only able to do three dives there, and haven't since. We're planning a trip to Roatan, likely in May 2005.

I've searched the forums hi and low, and apologize in advance if this specific situation was already addressed, but I couldn't find it while searching.

We like small, independent non-resort vacations, and this view is strengthened on this trip due to the fact that we're new divers and want a lot of attention from the DM, if not a DM solely for us (at least for the first couple days). There seem to be a lot of great independent dive shops/hotels that would be perfect for us in West End, but a few posts I've read make it sound like there is better diving in other parts of Roatan? We could care less about nightlife and other activities... so West End is not a necessity for us. If there are other areas that might be better, I'd love some advice!

Also, I'm not 100% opposed to CCV or other all-inclusives if the diving's much better...but I'm assuming we'd be somewhat intimidated by lack of attention from the DM?

Thanks again for all your help!

Dave

North Side has Spooky Channel and the 2 best wrecks - The sand out in front of West End and West Bay View are also some of the best places to dive and see turtles, rays and such.

Any of the Resorts will let you dive as "walk in" so you might call over to CCV or Fantasy to schedual a dive at Mary's place which is the best Dive on the South side.

I would highly recomend that you check with "The Inn Of Last Resorts" for your first trip to Roatan - I promise you that their DM's will take very good care of you. I wouldn't think you would need your own personal DM with the attention that you will get from the staff there. If you made a dive and still didn't feel comfortable they can set you up with your own personal DM for a reasonable fee.

I will be there the first week in Jan - the first 2 weeks of March - All July and the First 2 weeks of August - If you come then I will personally take care of you until you feel comfortable underwater.

IF you email them and deal with them directly you can cut a pretty good deal.

Tell them Howie sent ya.........

GlobalArb:
We like small, independent non-resort vacations, and this view is strengthened on this trip due to the fact that we're new divers and want a lot of attention from the DM, if not a DM solely for us (at least for the first couple days). There seem to be a lot of great independent dive shops/hotels that would be perfect for us in West End, but a few posts I've read make it sound like there is better diving in other parts of Roatan? We could care less about nightlife and other activities... so West End is not a necessity for us. If there are other areas that might be better, I'd love some advice!Also, I'm not 100% opposed to CCV or other all-inclusives if the diving's much better...but I'm assuming we'd be somewhat intimidated by lack of attention from the DM?

Dave, I have laid two previous lengthy responses to your querry here on ScubaBoards door, but the Electron Gods that have played so much havoc here ate them up. I am not going to suggest that you go to a different island than you have selected, however.

Short answer? Have no fear, CoCoView will take care of your every need. Visit with CoCoNuts at http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/ccv and many will allay your fears with their glowing responses. The DM's will either ignore you (so you might believe) or tend you like your momma (if that's what you want). Stay right on their flippers and let them show you the seahorses and all the really cool micro stuff that Roatan should be used to find. Don't be distracted by anything larger than an apple- the cool stuff is macro!

The "best" diving? I have been wet along pretty much so "all" of the shorelines of the Bay Islands. As far as Roatan and anywhere else goes, it is entirely subjective. My favorite dive that is regularly serviced by dive ops is Calvin's Crack. The best such similar dive for wrecks is hands down, The Wreck of the Prince Albert. (There are even more outstanding walls and wrecks further East along the South side, but few trips are made to them by anyone, mostly just CCV on rare occasions).

We just spent a week there 12/11-18 and every day we dove the same sites as the Bay Islands Aggressor at approximately one third the price.

When weather comes down on Roatan, it comes from the north... note this last week and into next! It shuts down diving on the North side completely.

Weather? Look at http://weather.cnn.com/weather/forecast.jsp?locCode=MHRO

Here's the latest sightings both below the water and in the skies....
http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog.html

You can easily obtain the services of a private DM, possibly even complete a PADI Night Dive cert so you can truly enjoy Roatan's best shore dive (no murky channel this!) right at your Cabana's doorstep. Literally step into the water and through a shallow aquarium after 300' you'll follow the anchor chain laid out to the 140' Tanker lying in 35-65fsw.

CoCoView rocks, but all the night life is underwater right in front of you!

Friends, thank you very much for the responses (and especially to you RoatanMan, I read all 3 of yours), and thank you for the advice. I'm definitely going to look into CoCoView more so than I have so far. From my math, it would end up a bit more expensive than if we did it independently (at least in total dollars, although per dive is probbaly close), but it sounds like it's worth it. Thanks again, I look forward to interacting with you more often...and hopefully I'll also have some thoughts to add as I get more experienced! Regards

GlobalArb:
Friends, thank you very much for the responses (and especially to you RoatanMan, I read all 3 of yours), and thank you for the advice. I'm definitely going to look into CoCoView more so than I have so far. From my math, it would end up a bit more expensive than if we did it independently (at least in total dollars, although per dive is probbaly close), but it sounds like it's worth it. Thanks again, I look forward to interacting with you more often...and hopefully I'll also have some thoughts to add as I get more experienced! Regards

I'm glad that you saw all three responses, even tho the ScubaBoard Bugs ate 2 of them up!

If you really do the math, I don't know how you could really do a guaranteed 4 (or even an easy 5 dives a day, maybe 6 if you push it) plus have three meals (with no delay/distractions from dive time) at the AI price at CCV of $110/day (approx). Balance in the aspect of quality, not only that of the dive op, the boats, the staff, as well as the food service. Convenience and no hassle wins the day for me.

At many destinations, I prefer the ala carte method of selecting diving from one place, food over here, then room over there. It gets pretty exhausting and cuts into my dive time. (The best example in the Caribbean is how I view the options on Tobago... we go to one place for each need, very time consuming!)

Many folks decry the "threat" of an AI atmosphere and lifestyle, something which really doesn't apply at CCV- something that you, too, will notice after your week. If it were more laid back it would be comatose.

Utila has its basis for attraction, but what you need now is bulk bottom time. The opportunity to log as many entries, dives and exits as possible to boost your familiarity and confidence with diving.

Go get 'em.

i stayed a week at coco view in roatan last year and would reccomend the resort to anyone.great service,24 hour diving.they offer a day trip to utila........we snorkled with whale sharks (after 3 dives).
you can save money staying in town, but you wont find a dive operator as good. good food, cold beer, good crowd.
if you go, let me know please.... i left a "C" card there

divdude:
i stayed a week at coco view in roatan last year and would reccomend the resort to anyone.great service,24 hour diving.they offer a day trip to utila........we snorkled with whale sharks (after 3 dives).
you can save money staying in town, but you wont find a dive operator as good. good food, cold beer, good crowd.
if you go, let me know please.... i left a "C" card there

Good reason to go back :D or contact Roatan Charters http://www.roatan.com./catalog/honduras/hframeset.htm or jump on their msg board http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/ccv and make a plea Erin is usually on everyday she will make sure you get you c card back.

I have to congratulate CoCoView's owners on creating the most persuasive cult I've ever seen!! :) Looks like I need to check it out. Couple of questions:

1) I'm assuming that I won't be comfortable/safe diving the front yard w/o supervision considering the lack of experience?
2) I can't afford computers before we go...I assume all this diving can't be done w/o one safely and I should rent?

THANK YOU!

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom