Trip to florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atlas750

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Have free S.W. airline tickets. Would like to dive in Florida for a couple days in the next month. Thinking about Ft. Lauderdale or Miami area. Any recs on dive shops to use and locations to dive? We like advanced but not expert dives. Thanks.

atlas750:
Have free S.W. airline tickets. Would like to dive in Florida for a couple days in the next month. Thinking about Ft. Lauderdale or Miami area. Any recs on dive shops to use and locations to dive? We like advanced but not expert dives. Thanks.

Personally, I would go to West Palm Beach over the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area for diving unless you are specifically looking for wreck diving or the South Beach nightlife. The reefs off West Palm are very nice with an abundance of marine life and most of the diving is easy drift diving. The inside reefs are about 60 fsw and the deeper reefs are around 80-90 fsw. From there as a base you could drive down to the Ft. Lauderdale area for some shore diving if you are interested. The Blue Heron Blvd. bridge at Phil Foster Park in Riviera beach is an outstanding shore dive, but it has been closed since the hurricanes this summer.

Check out Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures (www.scuba-adventures.com) and Pura Vida Divers (www.puravidadivers.com) in Riviera Beach or Splashdown Divers (www.splashdowndivers.com) in Boynton Beach. They are all a short drive from the West Palm Beach Airport.

Another option would be to fly to Miami and drive to the Keys where there are a multitude of dive operators.

I hope you enjoy your Florida vacation! If you need a West Palm buddy, let me know.

Atlas750- Just lets us know where to show up with the Red Carpet! West Palm, Miami, FL Keys, Pensacola, Ft Myers, The Florida Conchs pretty much have the entire state covered on this board.

Yeah.... what he said! :D ......... you'll have dive buddies wherever you go, just make sure to let us know what you plan.

Cheers,
Vickie

I'm not exactly sure what "Recs on dive shops" means but if your'e looking for "recreational" dive shops in South Florida there's one on nearly every corner down here. Take a look at this link for a list of shops in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

IMO Ft. Lauderdale is a great place to dive if you like advanced dives. We have so many wrecks put down for the artifical reef program that divers can visit that I couldn't even begin to list them. One of my fav's is Tenneco Towers. Check out the Dive Sites link on the left and then click on the wrecks link to see the discriptions of some of the many wrecks. Most of them are advanced dives. The beach diving around here isn't that great, you need to swim out quite a ways to get to the reef and it's pretty shallow but there are plenty of nice reefs to see from a boat dive.

atlas750:
If you make it down to Key Largo (about an hour south of MIA), be sure to check out the USCG Cutter Duane and the USS Spiegel Grove. They're suitable for advanced divers only, as their divable profiles are between 60 and 130 feet deep. They're both awesome artificial reefs that shouldn't be missed by experienced divers visiting Key Largo. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom