Dive sites/conditions near Live Oak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gwyl

Reaction score
Hi. I have a work retreat this week in the Live Oak area of North FL. I am free for the weekend and thus wanted to know what the diving is like in this area .. if it exists! LOL.

I thought this might be Springs country .. but as a newbie, I do not know. What places are in the area? How did they fares during the storms? Any more accomodating to solos?

Thanks!

Not much solo diving left, since nearly everything is owned by the state. Ginnie Springs is you best bet, and the best damn dive park in florida, IMO. Otherwise, Blue Grotto and Devils Den in Williston are your next best bets. Conditions are great at those 3 places.

Also, Madison Blue Spring is open for OW, but there isnt that much to see. Its mostly cave diving, Not sure about their winter operations though. Would need to call first.

Thanks.

To clarify, I meant that I am solo -- so will they match me with a buddy or not let me dive alone? Solo diving -- that is a different matter, but not what I meant in this posting. Sorry for the confusion.

How far are the various places from Live Oak? I just picked up Underwater FL so the answer to all my questions probably await me at home! ;-)

Gwyl:
To clarify, I meant that I am solo -- so will they match me with a buddy or not let me dive alone? Solo diving -- that is a different matter, but not what I meant in this posting. Sorry for the confusion.
No they wont match you up, if you want a buddy, ask around here, take one with you, or at worst ask at the site. That is only for the privately owned parks - some of those wont allow solo diving, some will, state parks wont.

As for distance, is Live Oak around I-10/I-75 intersection? I think that is where i saw it, if so, Ginnie is closest just north of Gainesville, probably an hour max from Live Oak, the others are around Ocala which is another hour or so south of there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom