Ft. Myers Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CathyI8205

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've tried a search but I'd like some fresh opinions. And I know this board is full of opinions.

We are looking at affordable diving. The Caribbean is getting too expensive. We're looking at the West/Gulf coast of Florida. We're thinking the Ft. Myers/Sanibel area might fit the bill.

Is this reasonable diving? Does anyone know of a good dive operator in this area?

We're looking at late May.

From my limited experience, there are a few types of dives that you will get here in SW Florida. If you are looking for clarity, cool reef structures and warmer water, the East Coast is where you will find that. If you are looking at spearfishing and fossil hunting, the West Coast. There are many more fish on the west coast, but they are harder to see. And there is nothing quite like meeting a big GG in 10' vis.

Joe

We're looking to gain some experience with our OW with shallow dives. We've tried Key Largo but were beaten up by the waves (Maytag Effect). We were hoping the west coast would be calmer.

The fossil hunting sounds intriguing. Where can we do that?

How's the water temp. in May?

There is a liveaboard that departs out of Ft Myers and goes to the Dry Tortugas (west of Key West). The diving is some of the best in the US. The boat isn't anything fancy. a 100 footer with about 20 bunks. All food, diving, air-fills, etc included with the price. You bring your dive gear and sleeping bag and beer. Nitrox is available.

The name of the boat is Ultimate Getaway. you can book trips directly with them or through a charter via whatever dive shop charters it for that week. The trip I went on was with my local dive shop and was nice because they charter it for one extra day over the normal charters. One of the "locals" who was on the trip that week chartered on our trip also because he said the captain has a tendency to cancel the non-charter trips at the last minute if if he hasn't booked enough people. He got tired of I think 3 canceled trips and booked it via the dive shop.

One note though, I said bunk and sleeping bag if you notice. This isn't a boat where you get your own private cabin, etc. Kinda like summer camp at sea. But the diving's good and and it's a great value.

email/ PM me if you need furter details.

Well so far we have had very good success here in Ft Myers, well minus one day of bad weather. I am trying to gather people that would like to dive on my boat would cost you less. lol. most of what we have dove have been anywhere from 17 to 60+ all in the local area of Ft. Myers.

Your more than welcome to join us when we go

For fossil hunting, mostly sharks teeth, you would go a bit North, about an hour drive to Venice Beach (you can do a search for Venice Beach). I can't tell you the conditions in May since I've only been in the water there a few times. My last dive was Oct 31st. Dive was to 19' for a 70 minutes, 76F and vis 10' or less. Highlights of the dive include a very large flounder, a bunch of wrasse's and other fish.

I am sure someone will be along soon enough to give information about the conditions in May.

Joe

JustJoe:
Ultimate Getaway
Spair Time
Florida West Scuba

Of course, there are the local dive shops. I frequent a couple

Dean's Dive Center Talk to Brent
Scuba Quest

And Brian has mentioned getting him to take his boat out. Hopefully he would drag me along as well.

Joe

I personally haven't used GetAway or ano of the other charter services, as I use my own boat but would join a group if its worht it, I don't like cattle boats is all.

Scuba Quest is where I am NAUI certified through and so far good.

Joe, You know your more than welcome to come along and join me. I am in need of a first mate right now since CBulla is out for a few more months. LOL

As far as the weather I don't thin other than one day last year we didn't go out the weather is pretty good, the vis was good certain days it could have been better but nonetheless was awsome diving.

Viz is hit and miss. It ranges from find the bottom when you bump into it to well over 100 feet. I've seen better viz in the Gulf than I've ever seen off the east coast or in the Keys, but not often.

Boat rides are longer as most of the better sites are 20 - 60 miles offshore. Generally, you'll find bigger fish in the Gulf.

Water temps are warmer in the Gulf in the summer (often 90+° F), but colder in the winter (varies from year to year in January of '01, I saw 49° F off Bradenton Beach, Venice Beach was 60° F at midnight on New Year's Eve) than you'll find in the Keys or off the east coast. In late May, you'll likely be able to dive without a wet suit.

Seas also vary, there are days you want to stay in port, other days, the water is like glass.

Personally, I love diving the Gulf.

If you want to dive Venice, check the winds. Viz there averages 2 - 6 feet, with some days as bad as no viz (black water) and some as good as 30 feet. You'll see lots of unusual critters at Venice - Pipefish, Medusa Worms, Mantis Prawns, Searobins. Let me know when you'll be down, we can try to get a group together.

novafury:
Joe, You know your more than welcome to come along and join me. I am in need of a first mate right now since CBulla is out for a few more months. LOL

I have already told you that I won't wear the speedo that you make CBulla wear as first mate. And I won't feed you grapes like he does either. :eyebrow:

Cathy, drop a note closer to the trip and I am sure that there would be a group ready to dive with you.

Joe

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom