February FL/Keys diving help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
I am heading down in Early February to Miami to go on the Black Beard cruise and wanted to dive the Spiegel Grove after the trip in Key Largo.....maybe on the 12/13th of February. Do you guys have any suggestions/recommendations for dive ops? Perhaps contact info? Pricing? Must knows?

Also since I am down there I would mind doing a few more along the Keys (the 'best' sites) and maybe something on the Gulf side as well - Say around Tampa/Clearwater?! (or whetever the best spots are)

So in short, please recommend and suggest the best you see fit.

I stayed at the Marriott and dove with Its-A-Dive on the reefs. His 6-pak boat he takes to the Spiegel Grove was in dry dock. He sent me to Kellys Aquanuts for the Grove dive and Aquajerks would not let me go with them because my 20 year old c-card did not have the title "Advance Open Water". To them my 500+ logged dives didn't mean S@%*. So if you card isnt advanced you may have some problems getting on a boat for the Grove. I ran down to Ocean Divers and it was no problem, They just wanted to see some recent deep dives logged.
Ita-a-Dive and Ocean Divers do not do the Grove every day but I'm sure that boats go there every day.
Key Largo is a really cool place to dive, so enjoy.
Brad.

Tamas:
I am heading down in Early February to Miami to go on the Black Beard cruise and wanted to dive the Spiegel Grove after the trip in Key Largo.....maybe on the 12/13th of February. Do you guys have any suggestions/recommendations for dive ops? Perhaps contact info? Pricing? Must knows?

Also since I am down there I would mind doing a few more along the Keys (the 'best' sites) and maybe something on the Gulf side as well - Say around Tampa/Clearwater?! (or whetever the best spots are)

So in short, please recommend and suggest the best you see fit.
For experienced (deep/wreck/current) divers visiting Key Largo, the USCG Cutters Bibb & Duane are great dives. A "double-dip" on the USS Spiegel Grove is also a treat! If you only make one reef dive in Key Largo, make it at Molasses Reef... high profile spur and groove, with lots of critters and better than average visibility. Enjoy!

last year we try to do the same after a Blackbeard cruise. We came to SOuth beach divers in miami and they told us they will do the Spiegel grove and offer transportation from SoBe to Key Largo, so for us it was a great deal. But once on the site of the Spiegel Grove they decide the current was too strong so we can't do it. I have no problem with this kind of safety decision, but they bring us on a very poor site (Compared to what we saw with BB and the price these 2 dives costs us). I would probably deal with them again, but I would made it clear before that if we can't make the Grove or any decent wreck I get full refund.

just my 2 cents

Tamas:
Thanks guys!
Who runs daily charters to the Spiegel Groove that is worth diving with?

No one runs daily charters, but the days you plan on being there, Saturday/Sunday, Ocean Divers will be running trips to the Duane and the Grove. Check their web page and look under Charter Schedule for the boat itinary.

Have fun.
Paul.

Tamas:
Who runs daily charters to the Spiegel Groove that is worth diving with?

Paradise Charters would be my vote... they have nice small boats as opposed to the cattle boats of some of the other ops.

Check their site, I believe they have a schedule of when they hit The Grove.

The Duane followed by Molasses reef is a pretty cool combination. Silent World is close to the ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom