Keys wreck dive question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

low vis

Reaction score
I will be in the Keys later this month...and we are already set to dive the Spiegel Grove. What I was wondering was whether anyone could give me some advice on the Bibb or the Duane? Is one better than the other, and are they worthwhile dives? I have been told the Duane is better than the Bibb, but I'd like a second opinion.

Thanks in advance!

Although both are in about 120-130 feet, the Duane sits upright while the Bibb fell on her side. This means the Bibb is a much deeper dive and limits bottom time, plus it just does not look as cool.

I think the Duane is the best dive in Key Largo.

I liked all three, The Duane, The Bibb and The Eagle.

The first words out of my mouth after surfacing from The Bibb was "Wow, I want to come back here with Doubles!!"

The day we were to dive the Spiegle Grove, we got blown out :(

When I go Back to the Keys I'll want to do them all again!!

Have a great trip!!

I have not been able to dive the Bibb, Duane, or the Eagle at this time, but I have dove the Speigel Grove. I have one think to say about the Speigel,

[c]AWESOME![/c]

When I was hovering in front of one of the screws, I felt really small. When I swam over the port side to look over the edge, I found myself in Awe. The size of the Speigel makes up for the lack of marine life, but another diver on our boat told us after the dive he saw a 10' bull shark.

low vis:
I will be in the Keys later this month...and we are already set to dive the Spiegel Grove. What I was wondering was whether anyone could give me some advice on the Bibb or the Duane? Is one better than the other, and are they worthwhile dives? I have been told the Duane is better than the Bibb, but I'd like a second opinion.

Thanks in advance!
The Bibb & Duane are both "worthwhile" dives. I'd rather dive the Bibb with a handful of divers (we often have it to ourselves), than I would dive the Duane when it's crowded, which it often is. Why not dive 'em both? While the upright profile of the Duane supports more life, easier interior access, and a shallower profile; the Bibb's "sideways" orientation offers exposed props, better access to the conning tower, and a certain "eerie" quality that's defies description. Enjoy!

The Bibb and the Duane are right next to each other (i.e. a few hundred yards). Most of the larger dive operators do not routinely go to the Bibb because they consider it more "advanced". There is a tendency to go a bit deeper on the Bibb and disorientation can occur with such a big ship on its side. Often, the current is ripping out there, and the Bibb is the better dive because you're sheltered from the current once you're below the gunwhale.

The Spiegel Grove is a fantastic site but the currents can be severe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom