Keys in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking about taking the wife down to the keys for a few days in February since we'll be in that neck of the woods for work. I haven't been there so was looking for suggestions.

I've been looking at Looe Key Resort. Has anyone been there?

Basically I'm looking for suggestions on where the best diving is, where to stay, places to eat, whatever. Mostly looking for a place that's pretty nice, reasonably priced, and near a good dive boat. I'd love to hear what y'all think.

Also, what sort of exposure protection is needed down there in February?

Many thanks! :)

Gregg

Looe Key Reef Resort is reasonably priced and the rooms each have a back door which opens right onto the dock where the dive boat is. There is a decent tiki bar/restaurant on premises which is popular with the locals. Not expensive but cash only. There are other restaurants nearby and you're close enough to Key West to drive in if you want.

The dive boat at LKRR usually does daily 3-tank trips to the marine preserve. They take snorkelers on the same boat, so the sites are shallow but very nice, excellent for newer divers. I think they offer a trip to the Augustus Busch, a deeper wreck, a couple days a week. They may want you to be AOW for this.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Hi all,

I'm thinking about taking the wife down to the keys for a few days in February since we'll be in that neck of the woods for work. I haven't been there so was looking for suggestions.

I've been looking at Looe Key Resort. Has anyone been there?

Basically I'm looking for suggestions on where the best diving is, where to stay, places to eat, whatever. Mostly looking for a place that's pretty nice, reasonably priced, and near a good dive boat. I'd love to hear what y'all think.

Also, what sort of exposure protection is needed down there in February?

Many thanks! :)

Gregg
Plan on water temps in the high 60's-low 70's, and bring whatever exposure protection is appropriate. I'm covered head to toe in layers of 3-5mm neoprene, but some folks are still diving in shorts and tshirts!

Seek out the No Name Pub on No Name Key (north of the traffic light in Big Pine Key). This place is legendary... hard to find, but worth it! You'll have to ask a Big Pine local for directions! The Seven Mile Grill (east of the Seven Mile Bridge, on the North side of US 1, at the west end of Marathon) is another great eatery. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom