Key West Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divediva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In April, my husband & I will be in Key West for business and would like to do some diving there.

We're also planning on making up to Key Largo for a day or two but most of the time we'll have to be in Key West for meetings.

Anyone have suggestions on operators and/or dive sites?

Thanks a lot

I dove with SubTropic and was happy with them.

They gave a good saftey briefing and ran a pretty good
shop and dive boat crew. They also have free parking,
which is rare for most any store in Key West.

I would dive with them again for sure.

Only thing some people think is a negative about them is
that they are on the "back" side of Key West and it takes
about 10 - 15 minutes longer boat ride at no wake speeds
to get to "open" water.

We dove the Eastern Dry Rocks, a reef near a tower.
It was ok and has some deep valleys. not great but
not bad either. Can't remember the other dive site.
I think 2 tanks + weights on the trip was $55 or $65 perhaps?

hope that helps. -mike

Some friends & I dove with South Point Divers last month while on a business trip. This was my first post-cert dive, so I don't have anything to compare to, but we were all very happy with the crew. We would definitely use them again.

divediva:
In April, my husband & I will be in Key West for business and would like to do some diving there.

We're also planning on making up to Key Largo for a day or two but most of the time we'll have to be in Key West for meetings.

Thanks a lot
If the weather is nice (not windy), drive 20 miles up the road (US1) and dive Looe Key (an offshore marine sanctuary) with Capt Jim Wyatt of this board. You won't regret it.

In Key Largo, Molasses Reef, in what used to be John Pennekamp Park, is hard to beat. Enjoy!

divediva:

Thanks a lot

Over thanksgiving I did 3 trips with Southpoint. I liked them alot

1) newer boat. Made good speed out to the dive sites.
2) location of the boat is at the Hyatt at very near Duval street. This made getting there quite convinant.
3) John, Glen and the other DM's did a great job.

If I dive Key West again I'll go with them.

PM me if you have any spacific questions.

Dave

divediva:
Dive Key West

Used them last time we were down there... The boat crew was awesome. Sent a DM in the water with you. You had the choice of following him or striking out on your own.

Many shops do NOT put a DM in the water with you. Some people don't feel the need to be babysat but I like it since I am unfamiliar with the surroundings.

Used Paradise Charters while in Key Largo... once again, a DM actually gets in the water with you.

did my ow with subtropic good dive op, if i go back i'll dive with them!

Dive KW puts a DM in? Hmmm I may try them then in March when I'm down. Paid $40 extra with Captains Corner, and some of the other op's charge much more! (I think Subtropic charges $75.)

Great tip! Thanks!

Moodiejeff:
Dive Key West

Used them last time we were down there... The boat crew was awesome. Sent a DM in the water with you. You had the choice of following him or striking out on your own.

Many shops do NOT put a DM in the water with you. Some people don't feel the need to be babysat but I like it since I am unfamiliar with the surroundings.

Used Paradise Charters while in Key Largo... once again, a DM actually gets in the water with you.

Captains Corner is definitely the value dive op in KW, the least expensive by far. I'd be willing to bet that a two tank dive *plus* rent-a-buddy ("guided dive") with your own equipment at Captains Corner would still be cheaper than DKW w/ an in-water DM, and maybe the same price as Subtropic with the DM on the boat.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom