Where to find Manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ezglyder

Registered
Reaction score
I have a free stay in Kissimmee Feb.5-Feb.11 and want to swim with the manatees. Is there anyplace close to Kissimmee to do it. Any and all suggestion are welcome. Also plan to do some Springs and would appreciate input on that, too. I have lots of O/W experience but no cave certification.
Thanks,
Ezglyder

How far are you willing to drive? Crystal River is less than 2 hours away from Kissimmee and Blue Spring(Orange City) is less than an hour away.

SuPrBuGmAn:
How far are you willing to drive? Crystal River is less than 2 hours away from Kissimmee and Blue Spring(Orange City) is less than an hour away.
It would be easier to get to Blue Spring ain the early AM so it sounds like the first choice. Do I need to hire a boat or guide? Are there any restrictions on diving with manatess?
I appreciate Your help a bunch.
Ezglyder

A bunch of us were up there last week and there were 6 manatees, 5 playful ones and the other just didn't want to be bothered. There were signs saying not to touch them but it was hard to resist when they are begging for tummy rubs. If you go, get there early (no later than 11am) the park starts to fill up fast. I think the charge for me was $10 and some change to get into the park. Have a look in here these are a few photos Orlando Eric took on our trip.

Have fun!

I can't speak to Blue Spring since I've never been there, but when my wife and I went to Crystal River and we had a blast. We went mid-week, and got there early in the morning. Rented a Jon boat for $10 an hour, and were the only two in the water with at least a dozen manatees that wanted to play. The greeted us on their backs asking for a scratch, got below us and lifted us to the surface, and at one point I had a huge male hugging me with his flippers. I tried to explain I was married.....

It was one of the most fun experiences I have ever had.

del_mo:
I can't speak to Blue Spring since I've never been there, but when my wife and I went to Crystal River and we had a blast. We went mid-week, and got there early in the morning. Rented a Jon boat for $10 an hour, and were the only two in the water with at least a dozen manatees that wanted to play. The greeted us on their backs asking for a scratch, got below us and lifted us to the surface, and at one point I had a huge male hugging me with his flippers. I tried to explain I was married.....

It was one of the most fun experiences I have ever had.
Since I'm closer to Blue Spring I'll try it first. But, your experience at Crysta River sounds really good too. Thank You for the input. Either one is better than paying for a group swim off a cattle boat.
Ez

Be aware that the rangers at blue springs are very strict about not approaching the manatees. the area is much smaller than Crystal River so they need to be more protective lest the manatees get chased out into the cold St. Johns River. They will hand out hefty fines if you approach or harass a manatee. You can only get near them if they come to you. Same rules at Crystal River but more strictly enforced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom