Venice Shark Tooth Dive Condtions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking about doing a beach shark tooth dive next weekend in Venice. Can anyone tell me about vis? Did the hurricanes uncover any additional teeth?

Thanks

Nassua:
I am thinking about doing a beach shark tooth dive next weekend in Venice. Can anyone tell me about vis? Did the hurricanes uncover any additional teeth?

Thanks

Actually, the teeth are more pocketed. My last dive there had a great yeild but I also had a great hole I was working for teeth pulling in roughly 95 in just under half an hour when I hit the sweet spot.

Vis there is always hit or miss. If you get a few days of low or no wind, you'll get good vis of about 6-12'. A week or so like that and you'll have 15'.. west wind prevailing you'll have next to nothing! :)

Perhaps Walter can enlighten us on the New Years day dive temps :)

CBulla:
Actually, the teeth are more pocketed. My last dive there had a great yeild but I also had a great hole I was working for teeth pulling in roughly 95 in just under half an hour when I hit the sweet spot.

Are you saying you found 95 Megladon teeth or the small ones? I dove there in October, had about 8 feet viz, and our boat of 12 divers probably found a dozen Megs, 3 or 4 which were perfect.

Off the beach, you are lucky if a group only finds a single small meg. I found a piece on the beach, and have seen a few that were found off the beach in pretty good condition. Most of the teeth that are found off the beach are 1" or less, yet there is a good variety of teeth in varying conditions. I have found bones, ray plates, and what looks like a couple pieces of vertebre, one is rather large. Cbulla's bounty is much more varied than mine though.

Temps, from what I hear are round 59. I will wait till it hits at least 75 (yes, I am a www!).
Good luck!

del_mo:
Are you saying you found 95 Megladon teeth or the small ones? I dove there in October, had about 8 feet viz, and our boat of 12 divers probably found a dozen Megs, 3 or 4 which were perfect.

What boat did you dive with? And do you recommend them?

Nassua:
What boat did you dive with? And do you recommend them?
www.floridawestscuba.com will get you there. If there are other operations in the area, I don't know of any.

As far as the little teeth (1 inchers), we found so many we stopped picking them up. Manatee ribs, whale bones and inner ears are all over the bottom. Again, so many that you start to lose interest in them.

del_mo:
www.floridawestscuba.com will get you there. If there are other operations in the area, I don't know of any.

As far as the little teeth (1 inchers), we found so many we stopped picking them up. Manatee ribs, whale bones and inner ears are all over the bottom. Again, so many that you start to lose interest in them.
Dont even start telling me you threw away 1-inchers! :wink: We are lucky if we find a bunch that size off the beach, big ones are rare that way. I heard the temp was in the low-60 and possibly could continue to dip into the high-50's. I am thinking of going in a few weeks, hopefully the weather will cooperate, last time was zero pea soup. After seeing some of the bottom dwellers there, rock fish, the other thumb crushers or whatever they are called, i am not going to try diving there in zero again - also very tough if not impossible to actually find anything.

The boat ride is about $60 i think. Any chance Brian might take Sharkbaite out some time soon???? :wink:

Hoo Ha Ha Hoo Ha Ha Hoo Ha Ha

Very soon, as soon as the drive is repaired, hopefully within our plans for next month. the water should be warmer and the vis should be good, all wishfull thinking right now...

Till then happy hunting

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom