Best places to stay in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello! My husband and I are headed to Utila for a week in June and then we're going to stay at Cocoview on Roatan for a week. I have started looking around, but I would love to hear from folks who have been to Utila and what you prefered. We do not need anything fancy as our goal is to dive as much as possible and then find a clean bed to crawl in, eat, and then dive again. Food in there somewhere. Followed by more of the same.

I am also curious about travel on Utila and Roatan. We have our own gear, camera housing, and stuff-- too much stuff. We fly in to Roatan. What's the best way to get from the airport in Roatan to Utila, and then our stuff to wherever we are staying?

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Seattlescubagirl:
Hello! My husband and I are headed to Utila for a week in June and then we're going to stay at Cocoview on Roatan for a week. I have started looking around, but I would love to hear from folks who have been to Utila and what you prefered. We do not need anything fancy as our goal is to dive as much as possible and then find a clean bed to crawl in, eat, and then dive again. Food in there somewhere. Followed by more of the same.

I am also curious about travel on Utila and Roatan. We have our own gear, camera housing, and stuff-- too much stuff. We fly in to Roatan. What's the best way to get from the airport in Roatan to Utila, and then our stuff to wherever we are staying?

I haven't been to Coco View, so take my post with a grain of salt. I have their DVD and really want to go. My LDS is planning a trip there this year and I really want to go but just don't have enough vacation time.

From what I understand Coco View is on it's own little private island. You are litterally taken across on a little boat with all your luggage. I don't know how much travel and site seeing you will be able to get from there.

James

Seattlescubagirl:

You might ask "RoatanMan" here on the SB. He may pick up this post, if not send him a direct message through the board. He is a wealth of knowledge. Ken

We took the ferry from Roatan to Utila.....Going over was ok but coming back sucked! The ride was really rough but the worst part was the layover in LaCieba. A few hours sitting around doing nothing. We had to leave the boat so we pretty much had to just sit around...sucked. Take the plane across!
We stayed at Laguna Beach Resort in Utila. Loved it...would go back in an instant! Our only complaint was that the food was just good. We went on every boat dive and them did the drop off dive on the way back to the resort. The shore dive there is excellent. We never left the property other then to dive so I know nothing of topside activities in town.

Joe

Seattlescubagirl:

Hi..

We go there pretty frequently.. Wife and I will be there for a month to 6 weks beginning in February. As you know, Cocoview is an all-inclusive. If you are looking for another AI on Utila, there are three resorts. On in town on the water and two across blue bayou by the lagoon.

If you want other than an AI for Utila, suggest you contact Tex at www.riconet.de/ecomarine. You will also find a very helpful list of hotels and lodging on their site that you'll find helpful.

You will also find Steve or Jasmine at Deep Blue divers to be very helpful. They also own on of the three AI's and have a great dive operation in town. WWW.deepblueutila.com. If you are flying into Roatan and then traveling to Utila first, I suggest you fly to Utila. Several reasons...If your flight arrives late to Roatan to make Utila on the same day you gotta get there befor dark. Utila field not lighted. Also, if you take the ferry, you may have to overnight on Roatan and take a morning ferry the next day. Our experiences with the ferry has been enjoyable. It has AC, movies and a snack bar. Comfortable seating. We did not get off the boat at La Ceiba while they took on new passengers for Utila.

Are you flying direct into Roatan...from Canada? From Houston, we have found the easiest is to fly into San Pedro Sula and make a connection to Utila. Time may be important for you so be sure you are not going to lose a couple of days overnighting that you may wish to spend doing something else. At any rate, Tex or Steve will be very helpful.

Regards,

Another option you might want to check out is the Mango Inn. This hotel is attached to Utila Dive Centre. Check out www.utiladivecentre.com for info on package rates and lots of useful info about Utila.

Seattlescubagirl:
My husband and I are headed to Utila for a week in June and then we're going to stay at Cocoview on Roatan for a week.
I am also curious about travel on Utila and Roatan. We fly in to Roatan. What's the best way to get from the airport in Roatan to Utila, and then our stuff to wherever we are staying?QUOTE]

Your itinerary is? Fly to Roatan, then you are looking for a way to get to Utila? Then back to Roatan (RTB) Airport, then transfer to CoCoView? I think that's what I got.

I have to believe that Roatan Charter will have someone standing by at Roatan when you make your second arrival (after Utila) to move you to CCV (as well as at the end of your stay).

Some resorts of Utila will actually pick you up by boat and motor you to Utila. Some folks ride in the island air hoppers, and some take the ferry 80 miles back and forth to the mainland to make the 10 mile trip. I prefer to fly over. If you booked thru Roatan Charter, or even if you didn't, why not have them arrange your air and all of the details. Let them do the hard stuff. Call Roatan Charter if you want the low altitude flight at 800 282-8932, they can also prolly lay out the other options.

Post what you decide to do, how it works out, and everything else about your adventure! Go slow and look for the small stuff, if a Whale Shark shows up, you might notice it! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom