Peace River fossiling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, can you guarantee gators too? Can we do some dentistry on them? :wink:

When were you thinking, water might not be so warm right now. Of course i think i could do something fun like this even if snorkeling isnt really diving!! :wink:

CBulla:
Anyone interested in doing some fossil snorkeling in the Peace River?

When... Where abouts in the Peace River do you snorkel? On my way to frigid Lake Denton today, I saw something the name Peace River on it...

Al

I'm thinking late Feb to early march time frame. The thought of a camp over at the Peace River camp ground came to mind and I have a map of a few places that are known for fossiling...

Bulla. I have been down the peace a few times in a canoe. I did not know anyone snorkeled that. I would say that is a defintley on the gators. The times I have been on it I could not see the tip of my paddle in mid stroke.. that is bad vis. Zoflo to Gardener or Arcadia great canoe run. Camping over night along the river excellent escape from fax machines and cell phones! There must be another area that you snorkel or maybe it was the time of year I was out.. very tannic.

Eric

Thats the nature of the river. All the rivers are tannic. The best times to snorkel or dive are in early to mid spring. Peace River and some of the other rivers that pour into the Charlotte river basin are considered some of the best fossiling in the world. Acuilla river is also a great spot.

During early to mid-spring the waters are much lower than normal and fossiling is made easier. Get a book called Fossiling in Florida. :)

Count me in. If the vis is that bad can we do it like clamming, just kind of feel around with your toes.

Hey CBulla, I'm in for the trip. I've been trying to get my wife to dive the river, but she is not hip to the zero viz and the possibly of finding a gator or dead body. The gators are lethargic that time of year and the water is actually clear, just brown. Camping would be great that time of year. Keep up the plans and maybe we can get something going. Also, the Tampa Bay Fossil Club does a big screening/ dive around that time. Let me know.....Chris

I'll look at some calendars this week and see what I can coordinate with the campground. Some weekends are traditionally busy there, some arent.

Where are you thinking about, Colin? Shell Creek?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom