Florida (Keys) - really a dive destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Trying to decide our spring (tax return!) dive vacation this year, and was talking to my LDS about Florida due to the incredible air fares to Miami right now. Anyway, he says, FL is nice, especially the Keys, but compared to places like the Caymans and Bonier, you can't really call it a "dive destination".
Really?? I always thought it was.
Now, we're not talking fresh water springs and caves - obviously FL is a dive destination for this kind of diving. We're talking salt water here.
Is Florida a real dive destination?? What do you think?

Sure it's a dive destination, the Keys have some really nice reefs and lots of fish. Frankly, I see no other reason to go to the keys. There are no real beaches to speak of and unless you fish, nothing else worth traveling there to do. (Plenty of bars in Key West but I can drink at home a lot cheaper). I recently was planning a dive trip and it started as a keys trip but when I added up the cost and factored in the real possibility of not diving due to bad weather, we went to Bonaire. Funny thing is, it was only $100 to $200pp more to go to Bonaire and I had FREE air to the Keys. It's a nice dive dest and worth going if you have never been there but for the money I can dive cheaper and more at other places. It is my choice for a long weekend from here in NC.

There's great diving in the Keys. There are lots of available charters. What else do you need to make it a dive destination?

It has been a dive destination for me on two occasions, and I look forward to more! Now that some of our Florida friends are certified, I hope to get there more often!

Wristshot

I've been to the Keys and other islands.

The Keys have pretty much the same thing the other islands do,
but at the same time the towns in the keys are pretty normal
and not much "touristy" or beachy as you'd think. Key West
being the exception.

There aren't that many beaches there and not as many resorts,
but you can find them.

Key West is more of a "party town" and cruise boat tourist
stop as it is a dive destination. But don't get me wrong, it's
still better than diving in the quarry by all means. Duvual
street in Key West reminds me very much of the main drag
in Gatlinburg combined with Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

Key Largo prob is the biggest spot to be a dive destination there.
There is a Marriott, Ramada, and a HOliday Inn. Lots of choices
of dive shops, but otherwise it reminds me of a small town.

Diving is the reason I moved here and is the only reason I'm still here. There is some incredible diving from Palm Beach all the way to Key West, especially if you like wreck diving.

I'm not sure which planet this guy you talked to is from but it doesn't sound like he's been to Florida before.

Rick Inman:
Trying to decide our spring (tax return!) dive vacation this year, and was talking to my LDS about Florida due to the incredible air fares to Miami right now. Anyway, he says, FL is nice, especially the Keys, but compared to places like the Caymans and Bonier, you can't really call it a "dive destination".
Really?? I always thought it was.
Now, we're not talking fresh water springs and caves - obviously FL is a dive destination for this kind of diving. We're talking salt water here.
Is Florida a real dive destination?? What do you think?
Key Largo is touted as the "Dive Capitol of the World" by the local Chamber of Commerce. Reportedly, over one million divers per year take the plunge here! The scuba diving infrastructure is well-developed, with over forty dive charter vessels (at last count) serving the Upper Keys. Key Largo is aptly described as "a little drinking village with a diving problem". Check it out!

The keys have great diving, i like islamorada, use diversity. Your buddy is not correct.

Padipro:
Diving is the reason I moved here and is the only reason I'm still here. There is some incredible diving from Palm Beach all the way to Key West, especially if you like wreck diving.

I'm not sure which planet this guy you talked to is from but it doesn't sound like he's been to Florida before.

Ditto!!!! Check out some of the dive magazines, I believe we are #4 !!!!!!! Florida has a ton of stuff to offer. I'm thinking maybe your friend needs to take another trip to refresh their memory! Let us know if your coming this way, theres always a fellow Conch diver diving somewhere. Good luck on your quest!

Vickie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom