Coming to West Palm Beach Feb 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nategasser

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm takin' the family to Disney in Feb. Managed to bargain for a few days in West Palm Beach to dive :) Looks like I'll have Saturday Feb 12th free, and Sunday evening and/or Monday morning possible. Things I'm looking for:

- One or more buddies. Wife doesn't dive; 2 year old isn't certified yet...
- Reef or wreck dives. I'm AOW, done Nitrox but don't have official certification yet
- Since I'm from PA I'll soon be buying a 7mm wetsuit -- will that be appropriate?
- I'd like to rent a decent back inflation BC - starting to acquire equipment and want experience

Anyone available and interested for that weekend?

Thanks,
Nate

Hay Nate,

Fill Express rents all kinds of Dive Rite equipment and it's not to far south of Palm Beach. You might give them a call and see what they can do for you.

A 7mm suit would be overkill IMO. Water temps down here will most likely still be in the mid 70's, it was 75 just last Thursday. If you're the type that gets cold easy then a 5mm with a hood should be more then enough but if you're the type that never gets cold, well, I've seen people dive in shorties all winter long. Most people I've met that dive in northern waters would be more then confortable in a 3mm with a hooded vest. OTOH if a 7mm is all you have then bring it along and try it out.

If you're gonna be up there in West Palm, I heard that Brownies is putting in (or has put in) a big store in Riviera Beach. I'm not a big fan of their's, but they will have any kind of tech gear and gas that you need. I'd still drive down to Fill Express, but from West Palm Beach, Riviera Beach is next door.
Since I got this far, I might as well put a plug in for Narcosis Dive charters at Riviera Beach marina. If you have to buy a spot on a dive boat up there, Ray is the guy to go with.
And Dr. Padipro is right about the wetsuit. Water down here that freezes Florida divers is like hot water to you cold water maniacs, although even a 7mil wetsuit in Pennsylvania sounds thin for up there.
If you're in the eastern part of PA, you might want to make a trek on over to Norristown and talk to John at Northeast Scuba Supply:
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/classes/Specialties.htm
On his web site, he has a new location - really nice facility there. Too damn cold though...

I'll dive with you !!!! and Im willing to bet ya there will be a few other Conch's chimming in here soon.. Feel free to send me a pm, we'll definetly set something up.

Cheers,
Vickie

Hey Nate,
Try this site,
www.splashdowndivers.com
I try to dive with them each time Im in town,easy to find Boynton Beach,south PlamBeach area,Great Reefs to dive!! Tons fish to see,No need to worry about finding a buddy! They have a DM in the water with you and/ or tons of local divers that dive daily to tag with.
Great dive shop and rental stuff,7mm may be warm-3mm full suit is ok,you can rent.
They will set you up with Nitrox,more bottom time,less time up top!Each dive is something else to see,and as i found out they will run when most dive boats sit at the dock!!
I will be down mid Feb too but will be taking a course thru the shop if all works out.
Have fun and try em out
Brad

I'll join baitedstorm as the official WPB welcome wagon! :D

Why don't we pick a general location and go from there: furthest north and possibly easiest to get to from Orlando (I'm assuming that's where you'll be, Nate, since you mention doing the Disney thing?) would be Jupiter.
Going south from there is WPB/Riviera Beach or down to the Lantana/Boynton area. All are great, I think Jupiter tends to be a little deeper than the further south areas. Most ops are ok to do something like a wreck and then reef two-tank dive; generally price ranges from $45-50/60, depending on the op + cost of renting tanks.

So, maybe Nate can put in his vote for location and we can choose a charter/itinerary from there?

As for a back inflate BC, I'll call my LDS and see if they have any to rent. Or, once we choose a dive op, they may well have one available to rent and you can skip the extra step of running around to pick it up.

Thoughts?

Juptier would be awesome..... Plus your non-diving wife could hit the mall here (Jensen Beach) there's a ton of shops and I have a built in babysitter if she wants to go kid free.... (My 13 yr old daughter loves to babysit) Looks like Murphdivers286 might be able to hook up with us too (my hubby)

Thanks for the replies, all! It'd be very cool to hook up and dive together. As far as travel, we're flying into West Palm Beach, renting a car, driving to Orlando, dropping the car and flying out of there. Got really good rates on everything, so why not make it convenient? :)

And my wife is already visualizing her own little sandy spot on the beach, so she's taken care of.

Since my time is somewhat limited I was hoping to be fairly agressive on Sat - like 2 tanks in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, if possible. Doable?

That's all I know. I'm up for anything as long as it's wet!

Nate.

nategasser:
Thanks for the replies, all! It'd be very cool to hook up and dive together. As far as travel, we're flying into West Palm Beach, renting a car, driving to Orlando, dropping the car and flying out of there. Got really good rates on everything, so why not make it convenient? :)

And my wife is already visualizing her own little sandy spot on the beach, so she's taken care of.

Since my time is somewhat limited I was hoping to be fairly agressive on Sat - like 2 tanks in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, if possible. Doable?

That's all I know. I'm up for anything as long as it's wet!

Nate.

Ok, I'll take the reins here.....since you're flying into WP and I assume staying a night or two:

How about heading out on the Narcosis out of WPB. I was out with them this weekend; nice boat. Fare is $55/two tank dive. Tank rental's are extra, but I can loan ya some AL80's if you're real nice. :) We can request the dive sites we'd like and see if they'll do so. If you're looking for a wreck/reef combo, I have yet to see the Governor's River walk since the hurricanes. Regarding doing a full day's outing, I'm personally only good for 1 go round; it's chilly this time of year! However, baitedstorm may take you up on the offer.

From the marina there are several beaches on the other side of the bridge your wife/kids can hit easily as well with minimal driving.

As far as the wetsuit, I'm in 5mm+ a 2mil vest and hood.......water temp is currently running @72 degrees; I've seen others in shorty's or bathing suits. Your call.

So, who else is in?

KBeck:
Ok, I'll take the reins here.....since you're flying into WP and I assume staying a night or two:

How about heading out on the Narcosis out of WPB. I was out with them this weekend; nice boat. Fare is $55/two tank dive. Tank rental's are extra, but I can loan ya some AL80's if you're real nice. :) We can request the dive sites we'd like and see if they'll do so. If you're looking for a wreck/reef combo, I have yet to see the Governor's River walk since the hurricanes. Regarding doing a full day's outing, I'm personally only good for 1 go round; it's chilly this time of year! However, baitedstorm may take you up on the offer.

From the marina there are several beaches on the other side of the bridge your wife/kids can hit easily as well with minimal driving.

As far as the wetsuit, I'm in 5mm+ a 2mil vest and hood.......water temp is currently running @72 degrees; I've seen others in shorty's or bathing suits. Your call.

So, who else is in?

I'd be up for the Narcosis but seeing that I'm coming from Charlotte, NC (11 hours away), and that I was just there and dove on the 1st and 2nd, I'll have to come next weekend, the 22nd and 23rd. Captain Ray is chartering his boat out to Force-E this Sunday and next Sunday to go look for Lemon sharks, but you can still go with them and get the same price ($55.00) by booking through Force-E in Riviera Beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom