Old eyes Prescription mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotheaddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Southeast of Disorder...and San Marcos, Texas
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been farsighted for about 12 years and recently in the last 6 years nearsightedness (is that a word?) has creeped up on me. I mostly wear glasses to read and see my computer but have noticed when I wear them around all day everything is much clearer.

I have been noticing in the last few years that the little citters on the reef all have fuzzy edges and my gauges are fuzzy as well. Night diving or lake diving I may as well go without gauges. Looking out toward other divers etc are starting to not look so clear as well.

I guess my question is should I opt for a presciption mask w/bifocal? I know they have diopters that fit into the mask but not sure if I want to go with that since the far away stuff is not so clear. Any opinions pro or con on bifocal and can these be ordered via internet or do I need to find a local dealer ?

I have read in previous posts about the different companies that do prescription masks so it looks like I will have a few to choose from.

Thanks

By all means go with the bi-focal.

I can't recommend SeaVision masks highly enough !!!!

I have two, one with clear lenses and another with the color correcting lenses.
Their post-sales customer service and support in unequaled.

The masks are available through on-line discount scuba suppliers, LDS's and directly from SeaVision themselves.

I think their web site is SeaVisionUSA. Not sure. Just do a search on "SeaVision" and you'll find them.

Safe dives . . .
. . . safer ascents !!!

I have the red-tinted SeaVision with the 2.0 gauge readers ground in. I tried the cheap stick-on lenses, but they were useless for me. Other people love them to death. They're much cheaper than a SeaVision mask - you'll get a little sticker shock when you see what the cost of the masks with the gauge readers is.
I can't dive without the SeaVision at night and read my computer. Get a clear mask - the yellow and red tints don't do much except reduce the amount of light getting through, and my myopic, presbyopic eyes need all the light they can get.

I have 2 Seavision SeaIV masks with Color correction in one and The Yellow Low viz lens in the other. I find the yellow lens lets in plenty of light. It's really cool when you put it on in a room and it lights it up. I use this one on lake/night diving and then use the color correction on nice reef dives with plenty of light. I can't stress highly enough about how great Seavision masks are. Yes the sticker shock is bad, but can I say that these are the best masks I have ever owned? Yes I can. I had lost my perscription and got on the phone with Seavision. Sure enough they still had my perscription from my last mask. I ordered the mask and had it in my hands three days later. Talk about some customer service. When I need a new mask due to my eyes getting worse, I will contact Seavision again.

LOL, this seems like a Seavision cheerleading thread. What can I say, I love these masks. They fit me great. Of course there are other means/cheaper means to solve your problem that many people use on a daily basis. I'm sure some of them will chime in to help you on the subject. There are also many threads dealing with perscription masks if you do a search for "perscription mask" I'm sure you will find a few hits.

Matt

I've had two sets of Seavision Bifocal lenses, and since I "see" a prescription change on the horizon, I suspect there's another one in my future. :wink:

That being said, both Pearce & I use SV masks with bifocal lenses. I used to have the pink-tinted ones but found they did limit light into the mask at night, so version #2 was just clear.

Regardless, go for the bifocals. You won't regret it! :thumb:

:eyemouth:
Hey, SubMan, what's your old prescription, maybe I can use it for my next !!!!

The Kraken:
:eyemouth:
Hey, SubMan, what's your old prescription, maybe I can use it for my next !!!!

I'm looking at getting a different SV mask & keeping that one as a back up. They have some new ones that are even lower profile than what I'm currently using (which is now 5 years old).

Sorry about that Chief! :blush:

:eek:ldman:
Stingy old fart . . . .

Thank you for your replies. As far as sticker shock goes I can't really complain after all the whole thing about diving is SEEING, and that is what they make credit cards for. I will take the advise and go with Seavision. I think I will start off with clear lenses and see how that goes and go forward from there.

Now does anyone have a style preference. I am a female with a narrow face but I don't want a kids mask. The masks all seem to have wide skirts so I don't think leakage will be a problem. I hope. Thanks again now off to get the old eyes a new prescription.

I also have the Seavision clear lens bifocal mask, and recommend it highly. It is expensive, mine was about $235 or so. You would prefer not to lose it or drop it overboard! :) But while having good vision is comfortable anytime underwater, there are situations where being able to see details (like the line leading out from inside a wreck when the silt is stirred up) could be extremely important...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom