Need reg recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Marvin

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are considering cave classes next year (2003). We're in the process of researching gear. We were hoping for some opinions on a regulator. We also live in Vermont, so with the exception of an infrequent trip south, most of our diving is in cold water. Many of you experienced divers are recommending the Apeks DS4/TX50. According to some of you, the DS4 1st stage allows optimal hose routing. The TX50 second stage is a long time favorite. Some folks have voiced concerns that Apeks will be discontinuing the TX50 shortly, so they've opted to stay away from the TX50. Apeks boasts about high performance with their new ATX200. Nobody has mentioned anything about hose routing. Which reg would you recommend? Would a DS4/ATX200 be the best of both worlds? We're currently diving the Mares Abyss with an environmental package, but when we go to doubles, we've been told that Apeks and Scubapro are better.
Thanks...

I currently dive Micras with SEA first stages. I have two Legends on order & will report when I get them.
I am quite happy with the Micras for caving.
Rick

Hey Dave,

I just got the ATX50/DS4, and I'm impressed thus far with the lighter second stage. The ATX50 second is virtually identical to the ATX200 second (heat exchanger is bigger in the 200, I guess). The DS4's do route fairly well for doubles, but the TX100's route better. Unfortunately, if you're using backgas for suit inflation, you have to use the 1/2" port on the left post. No real biggie -- just use the 1/2" hose for the backup reg. I haven't heard any good things about the hose routing of the ATX200 first stages.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the TX50. They may discontinue it someday, but the parts will always be available (for a long time anyway). Personally, I'm going to wait until Apeks gets rid of the 1/2" ports before I buy TX100 firsts for my doubles. I hear they are contemplating that right now. Currently, I'm using DS4's.

Good luck,

Mike

Actually the TX100 is perfect for hose routing with doubles. I have one and am planning on getting another soon as I can. It's actually the "preffered" reg of the wkpp now.

I also use the DST and TX40 for stages. They are great regs!

DSAO!!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Are there any significant differences in performance between the different Apeks models,
other than hose routing? At this time I'm not considering a turret.

Mike, I'm a little unclear about the hose configuration you described. On the TX100, you said you have to use the 1/2" port on the left post for suit inflation. Then you said to use the 1/2" hose for the backup reg. I apologize but I'm a bit confused. Would you please try explaining it a different way...

Dave

Sure Dave,

Take a look at this pic:

http://train.missouri.org/~hypoxic/

Coming off the left post is the SPG and the backup reg off a 3/8" port. The 1/2" port is plugged becuase he doesn't need suit inflation. Now, if you needed to use the left post for suit inflation, you would be forced to use the 1/2" port. Rather than use a reducer for a 3/8" drysuit hose, you would switch hoses on the backup reg to a 1/2" hose and use the 1/2" port. You would then then use the drysuit hose off the 3/8" port. The only problem is having to use a fairly uncommon 1/2" hose for the backup. Otherwise, the TX100's are nice regs for doubles.

That's it.

Mike

I use apeks 100's for my back gas, but instead of using a 1/2 inch main hose I put on an adapter. I also use a tx 50 for my travel/deco mix and a calypso for my O2.
All works great and I like my set up.
In my oppinion the only regs that measure up (In my area, where it gets as cold as 30F in salt water in the winter) are the possiedons, but they are more expensive to maintain and buy.

I also heard that it is better to keep the reg on the 1/2 inch, for better breathing performance, i would judge it minimal but that's the way I kept it, so my first stages point the same way looks weird but the fish don't mind.

Why do you have the short reg on the right post and the primary on the left and not vice versa?
m&m

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom