New scale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With the new year, I have discovered a major discrepancy between the scale at home and the one at the gym. I'd prefer to keep the #'s private and do this at home, so I am looking to replace the existing cheapie one there...maybe with one with the body fat feature? Does anyone have any experience with those? Any brands/models to recommend?

I still have some old doctors scales that are over 25 yrs old. They are about 2# less than the digital scales at WW. I don't know that much about the scales on the market but alot of folks at WW have found good one at Bed Bath and Beyond. Sorry, don't know the brand.

Consumer Reports did an article about scales some time back. One thing I recall from it was that the body fat measurements weren't all that accurate on most of them, often really way off. But they tended to be consistent, so that if you would get a real body fat analysis and know what percentage it is off your scale reading, you could pretty much continue to assume that same offset.

I have a digital scale which I really like. I got it at amazon.com. When I step on it, it show me my last weight and the current weight. When my Mom comes over though to spend the night, she complains that it weights her less than her scale at home (personally I don't see that as a problem).

Dont trust body fat measurment stuff... The only true measurement is looking at yourself in the mirror. You know where its at. :)

I do an average of weights. I don't have a scale at home, I use the Publix here near our house as they have a BIG scale at the store.. then I average the gyms and stores to get a weight :)

Kelpermaid,

Bioelectrical impedence is one of the least accurate ways of measuring body fat. I did not see the Consumer Reports article to see where Damselfish got her info on consistency, but part of the problem is that impedence measurements are affected by your hydration level, amount of food in your digestive system, even your body temp.

For kicks one day, I measured myself throughout the day using one at a gym I work out of. Its results varied from 10-15% body fat. Keep in mind that that 5% swing in results is actually a 50% difference in total body fat.

I'm with CBulla 100% on this, even when it comes to weight. Focusing on scale weights can be motivating part of the time, but sometimes people get discouraged by increases or plateaus when they don't need to. I think, in the long run, it is better to judge results based upon how clothes fit, how you look in the mirror, and of course, how good you feel in general.

Cameron

Back
Top Bottom