Nikonos Close-Up Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fda483

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have experience with the Nikon close-up kit. Any benefit to picking up a used 80 mm to use in addition to the standard 35 mm with the close up kit?

Going to Coz in April - first time drift diving and first time attempting macro. Can you do macro while drift diving or should I stick to my wide angle.

fda483:
Anyone have experience with the Nikon close-up kit. Any benefit to picking up a used 80 mm to use in addition to the standard 35 mm with the close up kit?

Going to Coz in April - first time drift diving and first time attempting macro. Can you do macro while drift diving or should I stick to my wide angle.

I've found the close-up kit for Nikonos to be very versatile. Forego the 80mm and get a 28mm lens to use with the "standard" 35mm. In fact, the close-up kit was the only use I ever had for the 35mm. You can shoot macro on drift dives if you get on the lee side of the coral. However, if you're diving with a group, make sure that the group does not leave you in the current while you concentrate on photos. -Clay

fda483:

HI!
We use our macro & close up set ups ALL THE TIME here - even in current it is just that some days are easier than others!
Looking forward to seeing you!
Holly
www.photocozumel.com
ISLAND PHOTO-VIDEO CENTER of Cozumel
PS - probably the only thing the 80 is good for is topside macro - other than that - don't waste your time!!!

Photocoz,

Do you develop slide film? I was back down there in December trying out my new 20mm lens and wanted to check the first couple rolls but was told they would have to be sent to the mainland.

spyder:
Photocoz,

Do you develop slide film? I was back down there in December trying out my new 20mm lens and wanted to check the first couple rolls but was told they would have to be sent to the mainland.

Hi Spyder!
You bet we do! We are, and have been for the past 14 years, the only E-6 processor in Cozumel! It kills me when the photo stores downtown say you have to send it to the mainland - go figure!
We mix our chemical fresh each day for the number of rolls we have so you are guarenteed top quality processing! We run our E-6 every morning (Monday - Saturday) at 9:00AM sharp! Available sleeved or mounted (hand cut - no chance of the machine cutting in the wrong place!) and use plastic pakon© mounts. We have light table & loupes here in our photo center for the photographer's use. We look very forward to working with you!
Please let me know what other questions you may have!
Best Regards,

fda:

I second Clay. I have use the Nikonos close up kit for over 15 years and some of my best UW photos have been taken with it. The 28 mm frame size is perfect IMO and beats the 35mm as Clay suggests.

The wire frame tends to spook swimming subjects and I stopped using it once I got a feel for where it sits on the frame holder. You can use the holder to measure distance and estimate center frame with some practice. The holder does not spook the subjects as much. Recently I have been using the framer that uses two small modeling lights to target the center. Works great and the light for some reason does not seem to spook fish. However the light can work its way into the image if shot in low light or without a lot of strobe.

The close up shots in my gallery (see Pet a Nurse) were shot with the close up kit on a 28mm lense and the "cross the beams" framer.

---Bob

Thanks Bob and Clay for the comments.

I picked up the close-up kit -- will stay away from the 80mm I see the difference in frame size between the 35 and the 28. I would guess with the 28 being a little larger it gives you a little more room in the frame for larger objects such as fish. But I can see why it could spook fish - I think it would spook me if it was coming at me.

Will look to pick up a used 28mm on ebay. Also hoping to pick up the 15mm before the trip!!!

Clay - Great book, read the section on Suicide clips the day after I bought 4 of them, will find a use for them ABOVE water!!!

Holly - Will look up your shop when I hit the Island for sure.

fda483:

I picked up the close-up kit -- will stay away from the 80mm I see the difference in frame size between the 35 and the 28. I would guess with the 28 being a little larger it gives you a little more room in the frame for larger objects such as fish. But I can see why it could spook fish - I think it would spook me if it was coming at me.

Will look to pick up a used 28mm on ebay. Also hoping to pick up the 15mm before the trip!!!

Clay - Great book, read the section on Suicide clips the day after I bought 4 of them, will find a use for them ABOVE water!!!

We will look very forward to seeing you in April! When you come in, please be sure to let me know you are fda483!!!!!
Just so you have our schedule (since it is a bit different than normal business hours) we are open Monday - Saturday 7:30AM - 1:00PM and 5-7PM (closed on Sundays and every afternoon from 1-5 - that is when I teach most of my classes & do the C-41 processing) We are located at the entrance to El Cid La Ceiba Hotel.

See you Soon!

fda483:

I'm glad you're enjoying the book, fda, and thanks for mentioning it. Look on page 352 in the appendix for my take on the close-up kit. You'll have fun with the kit, and you'll get some good images with it. The pic at http://claycoleman.tripod.com/id55.htm was taken with the kit and a single strobe. I've found the kit best for night dives, when things move slower. With practice and patience, you'll be surprised by what you can get those framers around. Remember, though, to remove the long post and framer before you put the rig in a rinse tank on a boat. The framer can leverage the lens seal and cause a flood. Holly's shop is an instituion on Coz--great service and a good place to hang out. -Clay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom