Kungkungan Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it's a spa treatment! LOL
It's muck diving. Basically volcanic sand or basic sand with very little coral or topography. Looking for strange critters. It is my FAVORITE place to dive for little stuff and my top 3 favorite place ever!

scubashooter:
it's a spa treatment! LOL
It's muck diving. Basically volcanic sand or basic sand with very little coral or topography. Looking for strange critters. It is my FAVORITE place to dive for little stuff and my top 3 favorite place ever!

Did you stay at the Kungkungan Bay Resort? You liked the diving there? Mud diving is the absence of a reef or wall and is just an open water dive with volcanic sand on sea floor? Big and small critters but no coral? Vis is good?

Dived at Lembeh twice tho we didnt stay at Kungkungan. We stayed at Tasik Ria Resort & made day trips to Lembeh. We love it there tho it's diving with black volcano sand below & even some rubbish around us! Lots of nudis, seahorse, even pygmy seahorse, flamboyant cuttlefish, flying gurnard, weedy scorpionfish & the list goes on....u'll love it if u're into macro. Perfect for uw photography cos there's no current at all.

I stayed in Kungkungan Bay Resort and loved the place and the service. The diving is easy, close by and it really is called "MUCK" diving. The best things to see there are the weird and wonderful, cockatoo wasp fish, wonderpus, mimic octopus, basketball sized frog fish of every color, porcelain crabs, pipe fish, leaf fish, blue-ringed octopus, 1,000 varieties of nudibranch, lots of species of lion fish, ribbon eels, boiling balls of cat fish, etc., etc., etc., etc. Muck diving means you will be spending more time moving slowly with your face close to the sandy bottom, rather than floating 20 feet off the bottom looking out into the deep for sharks. Viz is usually not so great - maybe 5 to 30 feet - but that's why you get to see all these things up close.

Have you done Muck diving? I've been to a few top-tier dive sites in the world, Lembeh was my favorite so far, and I have to admit, search and photo muck diving is the most fun as far as I'm concerned. It is mostly diving on coarse black sand at Lembeh, with occasional rocks and coral (Angel's Window excepted, that had a big rock and more coral). You see enough stuff that it doesn't matter; unless you're really big on seeing corals or really down on garbage (there's a lot of fish making homes in garbage there, especially at police pier), you won't be disappointed.

I stayed at KBR; the resort is nice, the diveguides are good, and the longest skiff ride was 15 minutes as I recall, most were about 10 minutes. I expect that I'll definitely return to KBR, although I admittedly want to see some other sites before I start repeating (well, I repeat a lot of So. Cal sites, but that's my home territory).

Evil:
Dived at Lembeh twice tho we didnt stay at Kungkungan. We stayed at Tasik Ria Resort & made day trips to Lembeh. We love it there tho it's diving with black volcano sand below & even some rubbish around us! Lots of nudis, seahorse, even pygmy seahorse, flamboyant cuttlefish, flying gurnard, weedy scorpionfish & the list goes on....u'll love it if u're into macro. Perfect for uw photography cos there's no current at all.

Rubbish from tsunami?

Glad to hear you liked it. Thinking of a visit there.

Zippsy:
I stayed in Kungkungan Bay Resort and loved the place and the service. The diving is easy, close by and it really is called "MUCK" diving. The best things to see there are the weird and wonderful, cockatoo wasp fish, wonderpus, mimic octopus, basketball sized frog fish of every color, porcelain crabs, pipe fish, leaf fish, blue-ringed octopus, 1,000 varieties of nudibranch, lots of species of lion fish, ribbon eels, boiling balls of cat fish, etc., etc., etc., etc. Muck diving means you will be spending more time moving slowly with your face close to the sandy bottom, rather than floating 20 feet off the bottom looking out into the deep for sharks. Viz is usually not so great - maybe 5 to 30 feet - but that's why you get to see all these things up close.

MUCK diving? That actually sounds more familiar. Knew it was something like that :) Sounds like diving that is very differnt from the Caribe?

TheNitroxinator:
Have you done Muck diving? I've been to a few top-tier dive sites in the world, Lembeh was my favorite so far, and I have to admit, search and photo muck diving is the most fun as far as I'm concerned. It is mostly diving on coarse black sand at Lembeh, with occasional rocks and coral (Angel's Window excepted, that had a big rock and more coral). You see enough stuff that it doesn't matter; unless you're really big on seeing corals or really down on garbage (there's a lot of fish making homes in garbage there, especially at police pier), you won't be disappointed.

I stayed at KBR; the resort is nice, the diveguides are good, and the longest skiff ride was 15 minutes as I recall, most were about 10 minutes. I expect that I'll definitely return to KBR, although I admittedly want to see some other sites before I start repeating (well, I repeat a lot of So. Cal sites, but that's my home territory).

It's a trek from NY I hear? You have to overnight in Singapore. Nice to hear you liked the resort .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom