Mares M1 Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octotat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased a Mares M1 computer, and have do likes it's functionality, but find it difficult to navigate and program. For the record, I am a techno idiot, but it doesn't seem terribly user friendly. Any thoughts?

That's why I bought a SUUNTO. :wink:

Seriously there are plenty of opinions on SB, the problem is that the search does not work with words of less than 4 letters so you can't search for M1 Mares.
Go into advanced search and search for "M1 mares" with the inverted commas. The search engine will look for the complete string and bring you a lot of threads on computers where the M1 was discussed.

I have a Mares M1 purchased about 3 years ago. I love it. It's really easy to use with the two button interface. Just practice is all that it takes.

Cheers,

Lanshark

miketsp:
That's why I bought a SUUNTO. :wink:

Seriously there are plenty of opinions on SB, the problem is that the search does not work with words of less than 4 letters so you can't search for M1 Mares.
Go into advanced search and search for "M1 mares" with the inverted commas. The search engine will look for the complete string and bring you a lot of threads on computers where the M1 was discussed.

I have a M1 RGBM and I have to agree that the menu navigation is obtuse. I found another quirk a couple of weeks ago. When you enter DECO mode it requires a deco stop for 1 minute at 10 feet before the normal safety stop at 8-16 feet. I think the programmer misunderstood some numbers. The manual clearly shows a 3 meter DECO stop for 5 minutes (see p34 in the User's guide) -- but that's in metric mode. I think that the program converts the 3 meters to 10 feet (corrrect) -- but also converts the 5 minutes to 1 minute (incorrect!). I've not tried exceeding deco limits in metric mode -- BUT the 3 meter/5 minute thing still makes NO sense. You'd think it would be 6 meters (20 feet). Please don't jump on me for exceeding DECO limits - I just barely went over the BT and my buddy who stayed below me the whole dive had lots of time left using a less conservative Versa Pro computer. The other thing that sucks about the M1 is that the buttons are really hard to press - and to exit some menus you have to hold both buttons down for a while.
Anyway, I've got lots of dives on the M1 and it's really not bad - except for the things I've mentioned. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom