Key Largo diving/lodging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey all!

looking for recommendations for dive ops and lodging in Key Largo
also from what i've been reading it sounds like most dive ops just take the group to a site and let them dive on their own without a DM in the water, is this the case?
would also like to steer away from cattle boats, we're used to Cozumel diving in boats of no more than 8 divers.
thanks

sharky60:
hey all!

also from what i've been reading it sounds like most dive ops just take the group to a site and let them dive on their own without a DM in the water, is this the case?
thanks
Paradise Charters puts a DM in the water w/ you. They're the only place we used down there... Nice boat, great DMs.

Oh wait, I guess I did use Ocean Divers once. NEVER AGAIN! The "DM" sat at the back of the boat smoking his cigar the whole time. Plus they're a cattle boat operation. You'll get plenty of people who will swear by them... not me.

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn there and have been really happy with it. Lots of dive charters to choose from in the Marina directly at the hotel.

Rooms ran about $89 or $99/night in June 2 years ago.
Rooms had COLD A/C, mini fridge, and were nice. Hotel had 2 pools
and a Tiki Bar between them. Nearby (within walking distance) was
a McDonalds, Wendys, Eckerds Drugs, Grocery store, cofee/donut shop
and "Worldwide watersports" super-store dive store. Also one or two
other dive shops within walking distance.

Now it's not the "Ritz", but it was nice and a good value for the money.

sharky60:
hey all!

thanks

Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Center in Key Largo does an outstanding job and has lodging onsite. They do not put dive masters in the water but let people "do their own thing".

Atlantis Dive Center is another good operation though can often feel like a "cattle boat".

I've also used Rainbow Reef divers, both in Key Largo and Islamorada and been very pleased.

Another lodging option is to stay in Florida City which is about 20-30 minutes north of Key Largo. The hotels (Comfort Inn, etc.) are much cheaper than the Key Largo rates.

I have also dove with Amy Slade.

They are the poster child for a cattle boat. However, that being said (In my humble opinion) they are an excellent choice for new divers. Big steady boat, usually shallow sites. I did my first salt water dives with them,

Moodiejeff:
Paradise Charters puts a DM in the water w/ you. They're the only place we used down there... Nice boat, great DMs.

Oh wait, I guess I did use Ocean Divers once. NEVER AGAIN! The "DM" sat at the back of the boat smoking his cigar the whole time. Plus they're a cattle boat operation. You'll get plenty of people who will swear by them... not me.

Anyone have the number to Paradise Charters? Their website seems to be down. Thanks.

I like Kelly’s on the Bay. Boats are probably a little larger than what you seem interested in, but they’re not cramped. DM doesn’t go in the water.

The nice part about the operation is that you can stay right there. Walk out of your room and 50 feet away is a nice continental breakfast. Walk over to the locked gear storage area and get your gear. They have carts you can put your gear on to push it 50 feet down to the dock, where the staff takes it and puts it on the boat. They have a pool, and some sea kayaks that they let your use for free. A good operation with very nice people. There’s also a pretty good restaurant next door, Hobo’s.

Amy Slate’s is next to them, and from what I’ve heard they’re a fairly decent operation as well.

I'm not sure what your budget on lodging is. I have stayed in a condo and the Marriott while I was in the Keys. The Marriott was great, and you can sometimes get some great rates on Priceline or Hotwire.
For a nice 6-pack, you can try Dive In at the Mandalay Marina (MM 97.5)
http://www.diveinflkeys.com/
Nice outdoor restaurant at the Mandalay as well.

mike_s:
I've stayed at the Holiday Inn there and have been really happy with it. Lots of dive charters to choose from in the Marina directly at the hotel.

Rooms ran about $89 or $99/night in June 2 years ago.
Rooms had COLD A/C, mini fridge, and were nice. Hotel had 2 pools
and a Tiki Bar between them. Nearby (within walking distance) was
a McDonalds, Wendys, Eckerds Drugs, Grocery store, cofee/donut shop
and "Worldwide watersports" super-store dive store. Also one or two
other dive shops within walking distance.

Now it's not the "Ritz", but it was nice and a good value for the money.

I wouldn't dive with SeaDwellers... I mean they are nice but they cater to relatively new divers. I was put on a boat full of 12-14 y.o. snorkelers. Right around the corner is "Ocean Divers" and I would suggest them - they expect that you know what you are doing and tend to cater to more experienced divers.

We have used Horizon Divers several times, and we liked them. Yes, it is a cattle boat, and occasionally they include snorkelers, but they were good. I have no other Key Largo comparisons, but they worked for us. Large stable boat, plenty of room even with a large group.

We stayed at the Ramada with a discount through Horizon and that was great. It was within walking distance. That was nice. I would definitely stay there again. In fact I hope to!

We stayed between Xmas 2003 and New Years 2004 at the Ho Jo's a little down the road. No special rates at that time of year. The room was sufficient, but I would not stay there again unless we had no other decent alternatives. Nothing I can specifically put my finger on, but it was just way too Motel 6 for me, at a much higher rate than Motel 6.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom