Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arnied

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
My wife and I are headed to maui for a couple of weeks and would be happy to hear about any good experiences that were had on dive boat trips and the name of the charters you took. Be sure to talk about any good beach dives you did to.
Thanks wes

Hi Wes,

You will not find much nice coral off any of the Hawaiian Islands ala the Caribbean. Only small patches of relatively colorless stuff. Also, sparse sponge or vegetation for the most part. Look for relatively cool water temps, like 77 plus/minus 2 degrees, and modest viz, like 40-80'. Marine life is another matter altogether. Varieties of butteryflyfish, triggerfish, surgeon/doctorfish, etc. far out number those found in the Caribbean. Also, lots of turtles.

If this is your first dive trip to Hawaii you might want to read "Hawaii Below" by Rod Canham ISBN 0-922769-21-4. It is a pretty good book covering all the islands and most of their dive sites, a good book fro IDing marine life is "Shore Fishes of Hawaii" by John E. Randall ISBN 0-939560-22-4. These are probably both in out of print status, so be prepared to order that way. For something more immediate, get "Maui Revealed." Can order it online or buy it there.

Maui is my 2nd choice for diving Hawaii, after the Big Ilsnad. Depends really on where you are staying because Maui is like two islands: south side which has Kehei, Weilea, and Makena - with some good shore diving and located close enough to the Molokini preserve. Diving out of West Maui, meaning Lahaina, Kaanapali, Kapalua, etc., usually indicates that the diving will be by boat and off to the island of Lanai, meaning Cathedrals #1 and #2, Monolith, Sergeant Major and even Turtle Haven. There is some shore diving that is available. Mike Severns has equipment and dives out of Kehei boat ramp and is the operation that has the greatest knowledge of Molokini - both he and his wife are biologists and have the definitive coffee table book. Out of Lahaina, the Mala Wharf, is Erik Stein's Extended Horizons and they also supply good equipment. Both of these are charters, and do not have stores. Lahaina Divers is a safe operation that caters to the walk-in trade and a good cattle boat op. Day trips to Lanai good, but Molokini Crater way over rated -- it's snorkel & scuba central & shows the wear & tear. Back side can be good, weather permitting, but is for experienced divers only due to depth, current & often rough surface conditions. Ed Robinson's also a very good dive op. On the north shore of Maui at Nakalele Point (where the lighthouse is) there is a wall which plummets over 120' straight down (might go more but that's as far as I've gone). I admit that it is a very tough climb down and then back up the lava cliffs, and that it is a very physical dive, but the wall is still there for the hardy (mountain-goat types). As to the coral situation, there are two very colorful areas with literally many (perhaps hundreds of) acres within easy shore diving distance. One is right along the road to Lahaina at Olawalu. The other is on the north side about 3 miles past Kapalua. It is a marine preserve called Honolua Bay. Describing shore dives; also purchase the small paperback for about $10, "Divers Guide to Maui." Eat at Roy's (creative pan-Asian cuisine & not inexpensive), Nicholina's, Sam Choy's, Longhi's (big splurge) & Stella's Blues Cafe (organic).

Does this get you started?

DocVikingo

The good Doctor 'bout says it all. I dove with Ed Robinson's outfit. They separate according to skill level with a DM for each group of 6, two groups per boat max (that I saw). Enjoyed the back side of Molokini, an all-day to Lanai, and a pinacle called "The Apartments" (I think).

I just got back from Maui last week - weather was fantastic, water temp about 70 ( a 5 mm wetsuit was fine). I went with Ed Robinson's outfit as overwhelmingly recommended by the good folks on this board and was not disappointed - all the boats that do the southern part of Maui leave from Kihei boat ramp and Mike Severine's outfit gets there slightly earlier than the rest and so get to push off first (about 7 am). I dove Pinnacle Point in South Maui, 75' (we were trying to see whales) and of course Molokini which Doc is right about. Next time I go back I'll do the Cathedral.

My conclusion? Maui doesn't offer the best diving I've had, but it is pretty good, and the professionalism of ER's outfit contributed in large part to that. There isn't much soft coral and the diversity of the marine life is less than that available in less isolated island groups. Still, we saw plenty of fish (wrasses, jacks, butterflyfish, cornetfish and trumpetfish), morays, scorpionfish, some white tip reef sharks and even a turtle.

If you dive Maui though, be careful about giving yourself enough of an interval if you want to go up Haleakala - my DM told me about 13 hours because it is at an altitude of 10,000 feet.

Voln

When I did my diving last fall off Maui I used Lahaina Divers and had nothing but good experiences with them. Molokini Crater was a bit of a boat ride but it was nice, especially with family members aboard that tried to develop their sea legs. The Cathedrals were ok also but wasn't exactly what I thought it would be.

Plenty of shore diving can be had on the west side with relatively easy entries. There are several books you can obtain that can give you information.

Mala Ramp in Lahaina is a good dive as well as Ahihi Cove in the south and Kapalua to the north on the west side.

Enjoy!

I dive Maui about 4- 5 times a year. While I prefer the diving on the Big Island, Maui is more accessible and technically a bit easier.

I STRONGLY recommend Maui Dreams Dive Co (you can find them at www.mauidreamsdiveco.com) they are located in Kihei and focus on Shore Dives -- they do excellent training if you want to pick up an advanced certification or a specialty. They do a nice job with guided dives and will go out with a single diver. Their prices are very reasonable. You can alos rent gear, get tanks, and just chat about diving with them. Ask for the internet special and you can do a guided night dive with Teri (she's done hundreds of night dives) for $40.

In terms of boat diving -- I have gone on several of Ed Robinson's charters... the three tank adventure is a nice one... really makes a day out of diving. The Lanai trip can be a long rough crossing and if visibility is down it loses some of it's appeal. In my opinion, Ed Robinson does a good job of smoothly handling guided dives... usually two groups of 6 divers with a dive master for each group... they do not strongly enforce buddies... so you can stay as long as your air or nitrogen level holds out. Having said that, I would recommend them more for experienced divers... If a newbie diver wants to use Ed Robinsons I would recommend that they choose their 'premier' dives which offer a 4 to 1 ratio. In my opinion, the 6 to 1 ratio does not offer enough support for a new diver.

On Thursday nights, Ed Robinsons does a really classy 2 tank twighlight and night dive... very nice.

Mike Severns is also a first class operation -- has probably the BEST marine life briefings going (though some people complain that they may be too long)

I have heard that ProDiver is also meticulous -- though I have yet to try them.

I have also dived with a small shop called B & B. They are pretty basic, but get the job done (guided boat dives) (I have heard a few complaints about their instruction). Their price is usually a bit more competitive, and they have the advantage (?) of leaving a bit earlier than the others, and thus, returning early still leaving plenty of the day for other activities.

I have NOT been impressed with Maui Dive Shop.

Have a great time.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom