Moving to Montreal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grumpybear

Reaction score
Hey everyone I was just looking for anyone from montreal who could let me know of any good shops in the area. Im moving there in a few weeks and would like to check out some shops before the seasons starts. Thanks

Tabby

Hi Tabby,
Welcome in Montréal ! There is many good shops in Mtl and my favorite one is Total Diving, they have a good inventory and I think thay have a large choice for speciality course... I also like Nepteau, cool guys... There is few place where I would never put my feet in, but I don't want to blast anyone in this board. :wink:

Grumpybear:
Hey everyone I was just looking for anyone from montreal who could let me know of any good shops in the area. Im moving there in a few weeks and would like to check out some shops before the seasons starts. Thanks

Tabby

Hi Grumpy Bear

I work as an independant instructor in montreal so i kind of know all about the scene here...

Bsaically it comes down to:

anglophone shops: excellent service in the shop...prices are very expensive though (total-diving and action scuba)

courses total-diving : big PADI shop pump out alot of students unfortunately that some-times leads to pooor instruction....depending on the situation you got
(ie i had a level 2 student from them that definately should not have passed...
action-scuba : i know one instructor who gives a good complete course cant speak for the rest

francophone shops
nepteau: prices are normal, good service doesn't have a school attached independants use him alot ,technical divers are services here as well
cpas: biggest shop in montreal , prices can be bartered for gear, good prices on service, courses depends wich instructor you get....

le monde du silence: lowest prices in montreal, doesn't hava a huge inventory small shop, courses are thourough

For fills etc you can go to anyshop they all have clean fills etc, for excursions all have a charter service that you can sign up for dives...

For advanced courses i would not necessarily go with a shop but more with this or this instructor who's giving a course for this or that shop or with independants like myself there are actually quite a few of us and you usually get a better course since we do it for fun and not for money....

JN

Hi - We're doing the pool dive thing (50ft deep pool at Olympic stadium) this winter (I don't have a dry suit yet) once a month. lmk if you would like to join us. We dove Friday night (Jan.21st) and will go back in 3-4 weeks.

I can personally speak for the training at Action Scuba in Pointe Claire - I've done my OW, AOW, and Nitrox with them and know several DMs who were certified through them and they have a pretty high standard, in general, for their students. They may not have the lowest prices in town but I really like that they know me (something they care about) and I know them (and they are servicing MY equipment so that means a lot to me). I do like popping into other shops (like Dive Tech near Brockville) - I'm a gal afterall and diving just gives me one more reason to shop!!

We've got 2 Yahoo groups up and running since last year - lmk if you're interested in joining......would love to meet more local Montrealers this year - not that we dive around here LOL. I would also like to head a little East with some of my diving this year as well as Morrison's Quary. I've done a lot of the wrecks up to Kingston and dove 2-3 times/day for a week last August in San Diego (lovely!).

A dive buddy here is a graphic artist and created some great art work. We've had some Canadian Cold Water Diver t-shirts made up - med. logo in oval on the front and a really big one with muscle-orca on the back. :D

anyone intested pls contact me privately.
p.s. - we've got ball caps, Polar fleece jackets, tuques, and tank tops being made too!

Grumpybear:

Tabby

The shops that I buy gear from are located in Cornwall and Mallorytown, but I occasionally get my fills at CPAS. They gave me one bad fill (as in tank was not full, their air quality is excellent), but I solved that problem by checking the pressure near the car with a spare reg before heading home on following visits. Price for a fill is very decent, $6 for air. It will surely be less if you buy a card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom