Stringer Location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
I'm curious as to where some of you attach your fish stringer. In the past I have attached my hoop/hook stringer to a lower D ring on my BC via a quick release lanyard, and have also tried attaching it to my gun (thinking that if I need to give up the fish in an emergency I can just drop my gun). Honestly, I'm not thrilled with either method. My hunts are mostly for rockfish and halibut, so I'm not harvesting any monsters (though I shot a 40lb Halibut last year!!). What is your setup?
Thanks, JAW

I have it on my float. 100ft floatline between me and my fish incase Mr.Greysuit wants a snack. I only freedive hunt, so having my fish on a float means I can stay fairly hydrodynamic in the water.

A lot of people just carry it. I clip it to my BC with a quick disconnect.

Big fish, shoot it to the surface with a lift bag for boat pickup. (they know ahead of time what to look for and do)

Regular fish, attached on the side bottom D-ring. Having it on the gun hampers my shot accuracy.

I carry it in my hand... for a lot of control reasons.

Can be used as a weapon to secure fish.
Keeps fish off my legs.
Fish are always streamlined, never sideways.
Makes multiple and/or big fish easy to control.
Never stabs me.
Never makes noise, banging on rocks or gear.
Never catches on bottom or gear.
Never silts out a hole I'm checking.
Not yet dead fish aren't out front telegraphing my next target.
Fish can quickly be moved to opposite side, away from predators.
Can't get dragged by big predators; goliaths, sharks or cudas.
Big fish won't float into me on ascent.
Easily passed to a buddy or floated from a safety stop.
Handing up big fish/full stringers at the boat is easy.

Chad

Chad was my spearfishing guru, so I learned the same way that he explained!!

I do leave the boat with the stringer clipped to a d-ring at the bottom of my BC. Once I shoot that first fish, it is in my hand for the rest of the dive...

Scott

In my hand after the 1st fish.20# fish fill up a bag quick.I jump in with everything clipped to me.

Yeah, Most bags wouldn't be able to hold to many 20 lbs fish. Unless they start making a mesh Circus tent bag then we might be better off. I have used the Lobster bag when I was lobstering and stumbled on a few Hogs in the 4 lbs range, Nailed 3 of them.
Bags fill up quickly! Maybe that is why there are stringers out there... :) I'll have one soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom