drysuit & horizontal positioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Just started diving dry. I find that a tiny bit of air does wonders in keeping my feet above my knees. This feat was nearly impossible in a wetsuit. Do others use a small bit of air here to help with horizontal positioning? Thank you.

Not by choice. I find gas in the feet makes fin control sloppy. Especially if you need to back up.

FFMDiver:
Just started diving dry. I find that a tiny bit of air does wonders in keeping my feet above my knees. This feat was nearly impossible in a wetsuit. Do others use a small bit of air here to help with horizontal positioning? Thank you.

I use air in the boots too but the basis still comes from good trim and body position.

NOt everyone finds this comfortable and it should be made clear that if you need a lot of air in your boots that something is wrong with your trim.

R..

Dan has it right. As you ascend, the gas will expand and your finning will become sloppy. You'll have to go vertical to clear it out and Murphy's Law says that spot will be above the siltiest area in the cave.

vodolaz:
Dan has it right. As you ascend, the gas will expand and your finning will become sloppy. You'll have to go vertical to clear it out and Murphy's Law says that spot will be above the siltiest area in the cave.

Or instead of going vertical you could just arch your back a little and extend your legs a bit. There´s no reason to make this sound more complicated than it is.

I agree that a large amount of air in your shoes will make finning sloppy. There is, however, a continuum between all and nothing.

R..

If the problem is positioning of your feet and legs I think you should work on proper positioning rather than looking to a solution that will ultimately become a source of dynamic instability for you as you move up in the water column. Why do you have problems with foot and leg placement… does it affect your trim? With legs out your trim may be thrown off. Where do you carry your weight… on a belt and BP or just a belt… how about trim weights on the BP? How about the position of your tank on your back… to far down your back. How about more land drills to get the leg positioning spot on?

At any rate… work on the fundamentals and don’t look to a work around.

Tollie:
If the problem is positioning of your feet and legs I think you should work on proper positioning rather than looking to a solution that will ultimately become a source of dynamic instability for you as you move up in the water column. Why do you have problems with foot and leg placement… does it affect your trim? With legs out your trim may be thrown off. Where do you carry your weight… on a belt and BP or just a belt… how about trim weights on the BP? How about the position of your tank on your back… to far down your back. How about more land drills to get the leg positioning spot on?

At any rate… work on the fundamentals and don’t look to a work around.

Was this directed at me?

The point is unless you're wearing something like rock boots there is always air in your shoes. Vodolaz probably wears rockboots and doens't have a good idea how to move the air out of your feet without going vertical. I was just correcting him.

R..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom