what equipment ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a little tired of paying $17.00 at the local fish store for a home cooked meal.

We eat alot of fish (at least once a week).

All I want to hunt are hog and yellowtail snapper. (Can you really hunt yellow tail ?)

I'll be attempting this at least 1x per week.

What's the best equipment for this endeavor ?

Thanks in advance.

A pole spear and a good set of longfins should set you up and be easy on your wallet :D

48" to 54" wood A B Biller,JBL,Sea Hornet etc.Probly best to start with a line gun as yellowtail are generally mid-water.

Hogs are easy, even with a polespear. Practice up with these guys.

But yellowtail snapper are going to be quite challenging. A long shooting freeshaft gun would work well on reefs or a really quick & quiet line gun on wrecks.

This guy took about a 20 foot shot to bag in the Tortugas with a freeshaft.

Chad

I wouldn't say that spearfishing or any sort of diving is going to be a cost effective way for you to put a fish on the dinner table, i can buy a years supply of fish dinners with the money i spent getting my gear. Although if you are already going to be diving, I suppose that it's certainly more fun than going to the store.

Try this gun...it might be a little expensive, but it does have an underwater lazer for aiming. Spear Gun

Wanting to economically add meat to the table by spearfishing reminds me of a friend who did a week of hunting and fishing at a resort in south Louisiana. He was proud of his catch but his friends added it all up and the meat he brought home was only $320 per pound.

Justin699:
I wouldn't say that spearfishing or any sort of diving is going to be a cost effective way for you to put a fish on the dinner table, i can buy a years supply of fish dinners with the money i spent getting my gear. Although if you are already going to be diving, I suppose that it's certainly more fun than going to the store.

You certainly get what you pay for at the store. It's just that you're not sure what it is, where it came from, or how long it's been dead, right?

But as long as you put enough ketchup on those Mrs. P's frozen mystery sticks, they taste just fine, and you'll never know what you're missing!

Spearing and eating your own fresh fish... now that's priceless!

Chad

East Coast of Fla it's not that hard to "break even"We figure grouper, snapper fillets at $10,bug tails at $15,mango,trigger,flounder etc..at $5 all per pound.That's all personal consumption vs. buying it.
I figure $12 for fills mebbe $15.$40 for gas per person.$5 per person for ice.New gear at every 5 years for the sake of guesswork at 2k divided by 800 to 100 dives in that time gives me around $10 per trip.If I get a coupla grouper or snapper,mebbe a bug or 2 and anything after that is ahead of the game.I average better than even.
As Chad mentioned there is little chance of getting what you pay for at the grocery store.Recent columns suggest the industry mis-markets a tremendous amount of fish.I have seen wormy AJs at the fish house destined for your "fish patty".Not appetizing.
Another consideration are the relative ethics of the fishing methods used to catch those fish.Remember"dolphin safe"tuna.

Back
Top Bottom