Chalupa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid

私は寿司およびアジア女性を食べるã
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ingredients

3 lb. Pork roast
1 1/2 lb. Pinto beans
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbs. Chile powder
2 Tbs. Salt (less if desired)
1 Tbs. Cumin powder
1 tsp Oregano
1 small can green chilies, chopped

Put ALL ingredient in large pot, cover with water. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove roast and de-bone and shred meat. Return meat and simmer uncovered 2 hours until reduced. (thickened).

This makes a lot and will serve many people. It freezes very well. Great for Superbowl Parties. This recipe is very easy to prepare, it just takes time to cook, I usually start the night before, cook for 4 hours, turn off and let stand overnight. De-bone and remove fat in the morning and resume cooking until thickened.

Garnish

Shredded cheese (your choice)
Shredded lettuce
Chopped onion (your choice)
Chopped tomato
Avocado (optional)
Salsa, hot sauce (optional)

Serve over Fritos (yes Fritos, or whatever you like, even rice). :11ztongue

dlndavid:
I usually start the night before, cook for 4 hours, turn off and let stand overnight.

I think only a health inspector would catch this... but this practice is very dangerous.

Great growth medium for pathogenic bacteria and there are plenty that will produce heat stable toxins.

You can argue that you have never had a problem before, but it only takes once.

TwoBit

Thanks for the input, I'll try and avoid this method in the future.

TwoBitTxn:
I think only a health inspector would catch this... but this practice is very dangerous.

Great growth medium for pathogenic bacteria and there are plenty that will produce heat stable toxins.

TwoBit

Tom:
Is this true for cooking brisket on a smoker over night very slow?

No. You have a whole muscle that you are working with. The interior of the muscle shouldn't be contaminated and the surface of the meat remains at a temperature too hot to support bacterial growth.

TwoBit

P.S. This is probably obvious, but I'm going to say it anyway... if, perchance, the fire goes out and you end up with a partially cooked chunk of meat in a warm oven, I would recommend discarding and starting over.

TwoBitTxn:

TwoBit

This time of the year I would just put it on my enclosed back porch overnight. I would just have to watch the my chalupa didn't freeze.

Glad that's an enclosed porch, 'cuz I'm sure the little critters in the night would love it too.

Double batch started, should be ready for dinner. :07:

It's almost ready, come on over, plenty for all.
My wife says I should change my username to... "Chilango"

Back
Top Bottom