Roatan in May???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goofygirl

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post.
I tried to post and it seemed like the board ate my post, but it showed up afterall, of course that was after I reposted another thread.
Thanks for your advice guys.
Please continue to post more stuff on the other thread.

goofygirl:
Hello all!
We're planning a trip and are considering going to Roatan in May! I'd love to get some advice. We're both certified divers, with about 20 logged dives each in Aruba and Cozumel. We have computers and masks/fins/snorkels, but will have to rent BCD's and regs (definitely our next dive related purchase!).

Is May a good time to go or would later in the summer be better? (though I 'm not sure I can wait that long!)

We're considering either Anthony's Key Resort, or CocoView Resort. From reviewing the boards it seems that the Coco Nuts are the vocal majority, though no one has had anything bad to say about AKR either. What are your thoughts? No need to argue over which one is absolutely better, they both seem to be very nice and more than suitable, but what are the pro's and con's of each?

We've never really been into all-inclusive, but both of these resorts are all inclusive. Will we be missing out on anything in town? Is the water potable, or should be plan on drinking bottled the whole trip? How much are the drinks (the alcoholic variety) at the resort? (they're unfortunately not included in the all-inclusive)

Though we're going as a dive vacation and plan to spend the grand majority of our time underwater, and desperately need to unwind from our NYC life, it seems that even when we 'unwind' we have a tough time sitting still. Is there a lot to do besides diving in Roatan?

Thanks in advance for your advice! Everyone has alway been so helpful on these boards!
I look forward to hearing from you! :bfish:

I have stayed at both resorts several times over 20 years. I prefer CCV. Possibly the number one reason is the 24/7 shore diving, all though I admit it ties the other number one reason NO KIDS. Sorry parents don't mean to offend. I am sure you are familar with most of the pros about CCV if you have read this forum. Can't think of any cons.

Yes they are both nice resorts but I really don't like climbing the steps up the hill daily at AKR to eat. I'm lazy on vacation. If you stay on the cay, which BTW are the best rooms IMO. You will need to bang on the scuba tank provided to get a ride over in the boat to the island to walk up to the restuarant. This is a family resort and the dolphin encounters are located there and there will be some cruise ship traffic.

We are going in May. May through August is a good time to go IMO no Nortes, but you do have to watch out for occasional tropical rainstorm. The water they provide for you in a 5 gal jug in your room is potable. I would'nt suggest drinking the water out of the faucet at at either resort.

CCV can arrange trips to town to eat if you like. They do have one night they usually caravan everyone in to eat at Gio's.

In short if you go there to dive your brains out choose CCV. If you want a vacation with diving and daily topside activities go to AKR.

May is not a bad time to go....

What you might want to throw into the mix is that AKR has started a twice a week trip to sights father out from the main island. They go to different places so I can't promise exactly where they will be going when you are there.

Usually 45 minutes to an hour boat ride on a fast boat and then 2 tank dive. These locations are still very pristine as very few people go there....

There really isn't much to do on the island so if you plan on Roatan think dive and relax.

Of course there is also Inn Of Last Resort - if you would like me to expound upon their vertures PM me or post and I'd me more then happy to elaborate... or just do a search on HowieDean that will pretty well fill you in....

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom