http://www.diveheart.org/

Scubaboard Brings smiles around the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is from a thread in the Mexico section... but thought maybe it should be more general... I know it is not specifically about scuba... but it is about our SI time...(if it needs to be moved, mods, feel free!)

Well, we're back from Mexico. Ended up taking suitcases FULL of school supplies, baby clothes, diapers and other clothes for young children. Went to the special education school in PDC (see Angel Notion) and also a free medical clinic they run in PDC. It was so worthwhile. My kids got to meet and share things they had bought with the kids at the school. My deaf daughter got to meet some deaf kids and learn a bit of Mexican Sign Language.

At the clinic we met a woman with twins (babies) who cried when we handed her cloth diapers. My girls (ages 4 & 5) loved giving the babies blankets and clothes and just hugging them. I think they really got part of it.

Although I'm sure we all have differing levels of income etc. we obviously make enough to support our addiction (scuba) and travel to these places where there are so many disadvantaged people. We worry about which hotel to stay at and how much we will spend on our post dive beer, but really..........

I would like to challenge EVERYONE on Scubaboard, next time you travel for a dive trip, pack just a few extra things for the people that do not benefit from your dollars as you stay in their country. A few packs of crayons, a coloring book or a few diapers can really brighten someones day. How can we, the privileged, begrudge these few things to people in such need.

I realize this is not a long term solution, but only the opportunity to brighten a day, show you care and make a small difference. Anyone willing to pitch in???

Wow, very touching... Thank you for sharing. We are planning a trip in June and we will except your challenge gariously with loving hearts. What a wonderful idea.

Cheers,
Vickie

that is a great idea. i will definetely do that my next time around.

when my wife and I went to Bonaire, we we went to the school for the impared
(it's in Rincon) and we bought their arts and crafts as a way to support their
school. we gave away the stuff as gifts back in the US. we figured money would
be best, since they can then get whatever they need.

Thanks for the great idea and challenge! I gladly accept it and will pack extra goodies on my next trips. How did you find the clinic and school?

Becky

nauifins73:
Thanks for the great idea and challenge! I glad accept it and will pack extra goodies on my next trips. How did you find the clinic and school?

Becky

I did some internet searches as well as asking locals here on scubaboard. I'm sure even if you don't find a specific place or need, once in a location, you will find need if you look around. But it was nice talking to them and having some ideas of what they would need. This particular trip we were able to pack several suitcases with supplies, but that might not always be the case. On the other hand, the director of the school and clinic said that if we are able to bring lots again, she can get waivers on luggage limits and weight restrictions from the airlines. Guess she does it all the time.... :) So that is good to know also. :) We were even told if we could come back and do some work with the kids (buy plane tickets) they would get hotels and meals donated for us... So we are looking into that for the future! :)

I really hope to hear some reports from others on how it goes... And thank you all for being the awesome folks you are!

Hugs to you all,

When I go back home, I always try to bring with me some necessities for the expat Americans and the Israelis alike:

Nikes
Cheerios
Kraft Macaroni and Cheese
Tide
Jiff Peanut Butter
Adidas Track Suits

:D

But on a more serious note, I really admire the work you are doing, Amy. It's not that often you find a person that says, "I am going there, let me see what I can do." I really admire that. Keep up the GREAT work, and I will try to follow in your footsteps.

Very nice Amy.
Last time I was in Belize they needed books for a new library. We packed up a bunch of boxes of books and even our old computer. We sent them to the resort's office here in the states and the rep brought it all down with him when he went there the following month.
It's great to help out other countries.

Let's all keep up the good work.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. But I am really not looking for Kudos. In fact, I'm ashamed that I didn't think of this until my 6th or 7th trip to Mexico. Nothing to be proud of. But, since it did FINALLY occur to me, just thought I'd share, knowing what wonderful folks are here on Scubaboard, I knew you'd jump on the bandwagon! :) Thanks again!

AmyJ:
But I am really not looking for Kudos.

Don't worry! We all knew that. It's great that you reminded everyone to continue to give when they can. I also love hearing the stories on what people have already done, and are planning to do in upcoming trips.

I might just add this idea to our Scubaboard upcoming trip to Bonaire!
Friends brought toys and clothes to the orphanage down there when they went last time.
Maybe we can come up with an idea of back to school items since we are going in the fall.

Thanks Amy!

Any other takers??? :) :) :)

Back
Top Bottom