Inflator Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dr_shappero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought an Oxycheq single tank wing and dove it for the first time last weekend. I've read on this board and various other places that a shorter inflator hose is ideal, however the 12" hose that came with the wing seems a bit ridiculous. I was just wondering what length is considered "correct" and what lengths people find comfortable.

I have 12" inflator hoses on both my wings and it is a pretty functional lenght. It goes a long way toward reducing unessesary dangling and is still more than adequate to inflate/deflate. The important thing is to pair it with a suitably sized LP hose as the average LP hose is too long.

My Oxycheq wing came with a 12" corrugated hose as well and I really like it. Although, the lp hose Patrick sent with it is a little long, IMO.

I ended up buying an 18" lpi hose from Tech Diving Limited and am glad I did.

I don't know what "correct" is, but the 12" works well for me. It's always in the same spot, as it it too short to dangle, and it's easy to dump from (I only use it to dump on the surface anyway).

Brian

dr_shappero:
I just bought an Oxycheq single tank wing and dove it for the first time last weekend. I've read on this board and various other places that a shorter inflator hose is ideal, however the 12" hose that came with the wing seems a bit ridiculous. I was just wondering what length is considered "correct" and what lengths people find comfortable.

The 12 inch might seem "ridiculous" only because you're not used to it. I didn't measure mine, but it sounds about right.

If you're positioned horizontally, you will almost always use the rear dump valve to vent your gas. As I don't have an Oxycheq wing, I will assume that it's like the Halycon in that it's a donut shape as opposed to a horseshoe shape. The REAR deflator will (while horizontal) always be in a position to exhaust gas. The only reason to use the corrugated hose is (as stated by a previous post) on the surface.

Just a matter of getting used to..

I guess it'll take a few more dives before I am completely comfortable with it. Glad to hear that others find that length convienient and usable. Thanks!

When you are in the water, where does the inflator end up? My 12" only comes to a little under chin level. I've seen the pics of gear setups and some of those hoses come down well over the shoulder. Is this where the 12" is reaching for the others that use that length?

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_photo.php?set_albumName=equipment&id=diverfront

I understand where you are coming from. My DTD wing also has a 12" hose and I have to use both hands to inflate by mouth. For normal use though, meaning pressure inflation, I love the short inflator. Stays out of the way.

nevermind...TDP is back on ignore...

Hey TDP - glad to see you around again - it's been awhile. . .

I have the DR Venture wing - it came with a 16" hose, which I found way too long. I now have the 12" and if they made a 10" I would get it (6" would be too short) I don't have trouble inflating orally with one hand, though it may be laid out differently than other brands.

Tim

Hey Tim,
good to see you too. This wing has a 12" hose which I find just about an inch short. It may well be I only need a little adjustment on the wing height on my back. Oh, by the way. We're in the states for a few months visiting churches. Then back to Czech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom