VR3 vs. HS Explorer vs. Cochran?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
It's time to spend the income tax return. I need, er... want, a new dive computer.

Here's my needs:

1. Full Deco, multi dive
  2. Minimum 3 gas, Trimix and Nitrox
  3. CCR interface upgradeable (coming to a theater near you in 2006)
  4. Must come in black :)
I know this has been hashed in the past, but there are newer models/updates out since those discussions.

For those of you who have used one or more of the above, what are your personal opinions with:

1. Deco algorithms
  2. Screen size (readability)
  3. Reliability
  4. Battery life
  5. Customer service
  6. Compatibility with rebreathers
  7. Other
Thanks in advance for your replies.

I don’t think any current Cochran computer can interface with a CCR (the Cochran Lifeguard is no longer being manufactured/sold by Cochran). I had a Gemini for a while and had various problems with it and eventually sent it back to Cochran. OTOH, I’ve used various models of the Cochran Commander with no problems.

I can’t comment on Cochran’s deco algorithm. The screen size of various Cochran’s that I’ve used were great (the red/yellow backlight is also a nice touch). The computers were reliable (apart from the Gemini), battery is user replaceable and long lasting (+ easy to find). From my experience, Cochran’s customer service was great.

As for the VR3, I don’t think it comes in black...

mempilot:
It's time to spend the income tax return. I need, er... want, a new dive computer.

Here's my needs:

1. Full Deco, multi dive
  2. Minimum 3 gas, Trimix and Nitrox
  3. CCR interface upgradeable (coming to a theater near you in 2006)
  4. Must come in black :)
I know this has been hashed in the past, but there are newer models/updates out since those discussions.

For those of you who have used one or more of the above, what are your personal opinions with:

1. Deco algorithms
  2. Screen size (readability)
  3. Reliability
  4. Battery life
  5. Customer service
  6. Compatibility with rebreathers
  7. Other
Thanks in advance for your replies.
I own all 3..

VR3 - sits in the dive bag.. Never feel well afterwards if I follow the proposed deco profile. When run side by side with an explorer, if I run the deep stops of the explorer I can get out of the water with lots of time remaining on the VR3.. it tries to get you shallow too fast and then penalizes you if you do lots of deep stops.

Explorer my primary computer, great alg.. big display, easy to operate.

The cochran, has the best logging capabilities, the helium alg is comming along well.. for most divers its probably totally acceptable but for some of the dives I do its a bit too conservative.. No CCR interface, so I just set it on a specific PO2 and let it go.. Does a good job at deep stops.

The computer is solid.. I ran over a previous commander with my jeep and it wasnt damaged at all.

padiscubapro:
The Explorer is my primary computer, great alg.. big display, easy to operate.

The Cochran has no CCR interface, so I just set it on a specific PO2 and let it go.. Does a good job at deep stops.

The computer is solid.. I ran over a previous commander with my jeep and it wasnt damaged at all.

I'm not sure which computer Joe ran over. I try not to do that myself because my F-350 weighs a bit more than a Jeep. :wink:

Since you are planning to join the ranks of bubble-less divers soon, only two will fill the bill, the (1) VR-3 and (2) H-S Explorer because they have the active link.

The VR-3 is a good, solid computer, although I would note Joe's comments on the deep-stop problem. I have come to like the Hydro-Space Explorer for the following reasons:

(1) I really like the BIG display on the H-S. It is easy to read at all times.

(2) You can set the H-S to either Buhlmann or RGBM. You can really tailor its adjustment factors to your conditions.

(3) With the GAP, the H-S, and the NAUI printed tables, you have matching deco algorithms on your desk/laptop, your wet computer, and your back-up tables. It is simplicity in itself. (And as a pilot, I like to keep it simple!) :eyebrow:

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like the Cochran is out due to the inability to link up with the CCR.

Hey Rob, kill some of your stored PM's. I have a question for you offline, but your box is full. :)

Mem,
Ok I will chime in on the VR3 upsides that I like. One metal case very tough, glass instead of lexan face again tough. Buttons are more friendly than Explorer IMHO the explorer made my fingers hurt trying to push the buttons. I do not own an explorer only had one loaned to me for a short time. Can also get big screen though regular I find easy to read. Biggest thing though is that the VR3 will not change any of your gases at any time unless you do it yourself. Explorer (at least did in the past not sure about now) will take gases out on decent if your decent time is off. You can put them back in but I did not like it. After SI it reverts from a specific mix to a standard one. The VR3 stays how you set it up. Good luck

Bobby

mempilot:
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like the Cochran is out due to the inability to link up with the CCR.

Hey Rob, kill some of your stored PM's. I have a question for you offline, but your box is full. :)

Sorry, hadn't been paying attention. Will do.

R

Bobby F:
Mem,
Ok I will chime in on the VR3 upsides that I like. One metal case very tough, glass instead of lexan face again tough. Buttons are more friendly than Explorer IMHO the explorer made my fingers hurt trying to push the buttons. I do not own an explorer only had one loaned to me for a short time. Can also get big screen though regular I find easy to read. Biggest thing though is that the VR3 will not change any of your gases at any time unless you do it yourself. Explorer (at least did in the past not sure about now) will take gases out on decent if your decent time is off. You can put them back in but I did not like it. After SI it reverts from a specific mix to a standard one. The VR3 stays how you set it up. Good luck

Bobby

Bobby,

You are right on the solidity of the VR-3. I visited Kevin Gurr's old shop, and Philippa, his exec, showed me how the case is made. They take a block of metal, and machine away anything that doesn't look like a VR-3!

You are also right about the H-S buttons, but the work-around is to put the tip of the strap over them and then push. Works like a champ. Gene Melton told me that he made the buttons that way for deep divers who will always have heavy gloves on.

Cheers!

Rob

Bobby F:
Mem,
Ok I will chime in on the VR3 upsides that I like. One metal case very tough, glass instead of lexan face again tough.
I agree its a tuff case, but its design is more prone to flooding than the explorer..Alot of the real deep dives on teh vr3 resulted in flooding.. Currently the pressure sensor in the explorer only works down to about ~650fsw and thats where its cut off not extending a pressure sensor DESIGNED for 14bar (~430 fsw) and rating the DC for 300m which is double the sensor rating.

Buttons are more friendly than Explorer IMHO the explorer made my fingers hurt trying to push the buttons.

I felt the same when I first started using it, it doesn;t bother me at all anymore.. I don't even notice it... go figure

I do not own an explorer only had one loaned to me for a short time. Can also get big screen though regular I find easy to read.
if you have good eyes teh vr3 is readable butfor those of us with less than perfect vision the display is hard to read even with the big text mode... A segmented display is much easier for our eyes to make out especially in low light situations.

Biggest thing though is that the VR3 will not change any of your gases at any time unless you do it yourself. Explorer (at least did in the past not sure about now) will take gases out on decent if your decent time is off. You can put them back in but I did not like it. After SI it reverts from a specific mix to a standard one. The VR3 stays how you set it up. Good luck

Bobby
The explore doesn't "take out gases" what it does is remove gases from the AUTO gas switch prompt (a manual switch is one step more, just like you would have to do on a vr3). This is done because you varied from you pre-dive plan.. if for example you need a very long descent there are ways (and always have been) to make the computer delay this behavior..

The clearing of the gas only happens on 1 gas.. The reasons are explained in the manual.. all other gases are left as is, and it stays on the gas on subsequent dives.

The explorer is basically forcing you to review your dive plan before the next dive..

Gas switches can only be done and CONFIRMED by the diver, nothing is done without confirmation..

Personally I NEVER program in gas switch depths, I just do a gas switch when needed.

I don't like the buttons on the VR3, most people I know have had problems with them sticking at the worse times.. I dont use my vr3 alot and keep it clean and I still get button issues.. I RB class last year that 5 out of 6 vr3s failed (all different problems) during the program..

I hear the button issues aren't as common as they used to be, so that concern may be gone..
When they switch to VPM, I might consider it a viable option.. Right now I don't like the deco profiles it generates.. depending on the depth just a few deep stops then a typically buhlmann profile.. You need to raise the conservatism to generate profiles where you feel the same as a bubble model like RGBM, and if you do you end up spending alot of unnecessary time in the water..

Back
Top Bottom