Good snorkel recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all;
I finally have a little extra Christmas casdh leftover and wanted to purchase a decent quality snorkel for future vacations. Can anyone recommend a snorkel they like and maybe also a good website to purchase it? I have seen ones in the past with a flapper thingy on the top to keep out the sea water but sometimes these gadgets are just that, gadgets. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a TUSA Platina Hyperdry, and I really like it. I went for a little better than "cheapest I could find", because I use it for snorkeling in addition to diving.

Bought mine through my LDS.

Mr. Detail,

I agree with MntDiver, if you will be using it for snorkling also. Get the best you can, within your budget. Try ScubaToys.com out as Larry and the ST team can give you advise.

With respect to those "Dry Snorkles", I have tried them and they do keep most of the water out. However, this function is really not needed if you know how to use a snorkle properly. Bottom line is, go with whatever makes you comfortable in the water and wallet. Good luck in your search.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

I have never snorkeled with one of the hyperdry-types, but my understanding is that those flappers can be pretty sensitive and can close up when splashed, so you can't pull in a breath. I wouldn't want one, but I don't mind clearing my snorkel either.

I like purge valves OK, and I like the mouthpiece that's attached with the floppy piece...Personally, I'd go with a standard purge-valve type with no flapper on top.

Gregg

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I have never snorkeled with one of the hyperdry-types, but my understanding is that those flappers can be pretty sensitive and can close up when splashed, so you can't pull in a breath. I wouldn't want one, but I don't mind clearing my snorkel either.

I like purge valves OK, and I like the mouthpiece that's attached with the floppy piece...Personally, I'd go with a standard purge-valve type with no flapper on top.

Gregg

The Platina Hyperdry that I own doesn't have any "flapper" as you call it. Simply has a purge valve at the bottom and the top is a special design to prevent splashes from entering the pipe as shown here. No moving parts on the top of the pipe, simply baffles.

Edit: Here is the full link to the TUSA Platina Hyperdry page.

MtnDiver:
The Platina Hyperdry that I own doesn't have any "flapper" as you call it. Simply has a purge valve at the bottom and the top is a special design to prevent splashes from entering the pipe as shown here. No moving parts on the top of the pipe, simply baffles.

Edit: Here is the full link to the TUSA Platina Hyperdry page.

yeah i have one of those as well, unfortunately i can't remember if it works cause it's sat in the bottom of my bag for the last year...i never bring it anymore, shore or boat..

mossym:
yeah i have one of those as well, unfortunately i can't remember if it works cause it's sat in the bottom of my bag for the last year...i never bring it anymore, shore or boat..

Well, having used mine on several occasions snorkelling I have to say it works really well. Very comfortable and easy breathing.

If you are freediving, a simple tube is easiest to clear as you come up.

If you are mostly staying on the surface, then a bottom purge valve makes clearing water much easier. Whether or not it has a flapper valve on top, some sort of splash baffle, or just a bare tube on top doesn't make much difference, as long as it has a bottom purge.

Back
Top Bottom