Nimrod Explorer - Recent Returnees Please Post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pigletfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I have booked on the Nimrod Explorer for their Coral Sea trip the week of March 22nd-28th. I searched the board and saw the great report from Lynn CA's Far Northern Reef trip on the Nimrod in October. BacardiSpice and singlemalt posted that they were scheduled to do the Coral Sea trip on the Nimrod in December, and h30 in January. I would love to hear trip reports from these recent returnees -- and any others! Cheers!

Pigletfish,

We're going to miss you by two weeks-- my girlfriend and I are scheduled with Nimrod Explorer for the March 8 Coral Sea trip. Wonder if any other ScubaBoarders will be there.

My gf and i were on the Nimrod in October. Did the Northern GRB. Had a wonderful time. I've posted some pics are on my website at www.lonestardiver.com and there should be more within the next week or so, also working on the trip report.

Hey FloppyFoot, too bad we'll miss you -- it would be fun to meet other ScubaBoarders! UnderWtrDan, thanks for the link.

I guess BacardiSpice, singlemalt, and h30 have not been on the board lately -- too bad, I'd love to hear how it went on their Osprey Reef trips!

It was a fantastic trip. We can't say how pleased we were with the entire experience. The crew was great, the food was good and plentiful. The boat was clean. We set our gear up once and after that, after each dive all we had to do was remove the regulator so they knew to fill the tank and walk away, the tank would be ready for the next dive. The briefings were very good and in good detail. The trip report should be finished early next week. I'm going to post it on my website as it is right at 5 pgs now and the final product will be in the 7-8 pg range. I'll be reorganizing the pictures and adding more also. You'll love the trip. We can't wait to go back.

www.lonestardiver.com

Hi guys!

I did indeed go on the December trip, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll post more detail when I have my log book in front of me, and may even inflict a few dodgy MX-10 shots of billions of white-tip reefies and grey whalers on you...

Well, here are my impressions with reference to my log. Haven't uploaded any photos yet - need to retrieve the discs from work.

Got to Cairns on 14 Dec - met a few fellow divers while waiting for a taxi, and we soon worked out we were all joining the Nimrod so we hooked up and got a minibus. After arriving at the office we were given a quick briefing, then driven out to the airport to join the charter flight. Low level flight to Cooktown was amazing! Reef and rainforest, mountains and sea. Dumped our gear on the deck when we got to the Nimrod and they dropped us back into town for a few quick last minute beers - the cast of characters in the pub could have come straight out of movie set. Introduced European guests to several types of Aussie beer.

I was set up with three girls from Hong Kong - snug but comfortable cabin. Somehow we all managed to dance around each other for the week and got along famously - I had a porthole, so that helped prompt me to get up well before the morning call most mornings. They buddied me up with one of the blokes I shared the cab from the airport with - we were well matched for air consumption and interests, and were both doing the Nitrox course, so it worked well. We were requested to be back on board by 70 minutes for most dives (and pushed that limit more than once!). Max depth was a bit shy of 40 metres out at North Horn.

Boat was comfortable. Liked the saloon so much that I fell asleep in there one night after dinner and nearly spent the night, until I realised I needed to get the contact lenses out (getting into my top bunk without kicking one of my cabin mates in the face in the dark was a whole other story!) Crew were sensational - Mike the engineer is a marine biologist, and able to answer just about any obscure question we threw at him. I did my nitrox certification on board, and Jon was great...even one night when the boat was pitching a bit and I was knackered and cranky, he still worked through it patiently with me. Food was good too - not elaborate, but plentiful. Can still hear the cook chuckling over serving trifle the night almost everyone was seasick ('this'll fix you right up!').

There was only afternoon-evening when most people seemed to be a bit queasy - I'm virtually never seasick, but on this day I had to get in the water to get rid of the upset stomach. I was fine the rest of the trip, and even partook of the trifle!

Quick rundown on sites - you would have come across most of these before in write-ups, so I'll try to keep it brief:

15.12.04 - Pixie Pinnacle. Spiralled around pinnacle to surface. Barracuda, lots of trevally, maori wrasse, tomato clownfish, flute fish, lionfish, unicornfish etc etc...Did this for dives 1 - 2
- Vertical Gardens - Dive on outer reef. Good arawy of hard corals
- Challenger Bay / Monolith - Couple of sharks - Blacktip and a whitetip reefshark on
patrol. Also did Night dive here - most remarkable thing was schooling trevally at night, both giant and bluefin.

16.12.04 - Raging Horn, Osprey Reef. This is what it's all about - lots of grey whalers (grey reefsharks) slipping in and out of vision, and plenty of white tip reefsharks lazing on the bottom.
Fake Entry, Osprey Reef. Series of gutters with lots of WT reefsharks - which seemed absolutely unconcerned by my cautious approach and photographing. Also caught sight of a dog-tooth tuna.
Raging Horn. Done as a drift dive from boat, but there was very little current. More white tips. Turtle. Moray freeswimming.
Castle - Osprey Reef. Swim throughs, lots of bommies, caves and grottos. Field of Garden Eels. WT reefsharsk. Lots of anenomefish and some magnifica anenomes.

17.12.04 - Admiralty - Osprey Reef. Wall dive. Spent forever at about 25 metres watching Garden Eels! More (inevitable) white tips.
North Horn - Osprey Reef. More sharks than you could poke a stick at. Always at least eight grey whalers in sight, plus lots of white tips. Maori wrasse and remoras everywhere - some of which came in and attached themselves to us. At the end we got to the mooring line and spent about 15 minutes surrounded by them - great stuff!
North Horn - Osprey Reef. 'Shark Attraction'. Fish scraps were placed in a cage to attract sharks. Plenty of them (I have photos in which about 30 at a time can be counted). What I really fell in love with here were the potato cod! I'd never understood their charm until this time when I actually dove with them. Was jostled from behind, and whipped around to glare at whatever diver it was who was so uncontrolled - found myself face to face with one of these big lugs. One swam right between my fins as I looked down to watch a free-swimming moray.
Halfway Wall - Osprey Reef. Bit of wall, mainly bommies. Nice swimthroughs. More white tips.

18.12.05 - Andy's postcard - Ribbon Reef 5. Bommies, sandy bottom.
Steve's Bommie - Ribbon Reef 3. Two dives. Steve had excellent taste! It's shrouded in clouds of yellow fish, both wrasse and snapper. Anthias galore. At least three species of anenomefish, battalions of fusiliers, barracuda, turtles.
Temple of Doom - Night dive.

19.12.04 - Century Bay. Sandy bottom. More WTR sharks and garden eels, blue spotted rays, cuttlefish.
Joanies Joy - Sandy bottom, coral heads. Coral gardens near surface. Most confident shrimp goby and shrimp I've ever seen - my close proximity didn't phase them at all.
Any Question - Ribbon Reef 2. No notes! Never got around to writing it up.
Kremlin -I was a bit cold this dive, going twilight to night. Saw lots of chromises. Very pretty coral gardens on top of the bommie. And a solitary batfish!

Sorry about the long laundrylist, but hopefully it will give you an idea of what you may see. Because it was spring, we saw a lot of juvenile fish and spawning sea cucumbers. Would have loved a manta or two, but not to be! A group of us had dinner and drinks at the Green Ant the night we got back in - and I found they had Absinthe, so it was all good!

Bacardi Spice,

Thanks for the write-up. We're having a hard time surviving the wait for our trip-- we leave for Melbourne on 3/1 and will head up to Cairns just before our 3/8 trip.

Did your trip visit the Cod Hole, or is the place you saw the potato cod somewhere else?

Charlie

We didn't visit the Cod Hole that trip, Charlie - access is organised by roster among the dive boats, and the Nimrod wasn't on it for those dates. At first I was grateful as I really wasn't keen on doing it - too 'touro', as far as I was concerned. Then I met the Potato Cod at North Horn and fell madly in love with them - they're gorgeous! Sea Labradors! Big, bumptious, jostling gorgeous things!

When I returned home and spoke to a few other non-divers about them, mentioning the 'Cod' as a highlight, I was surprised at how many were familiar with them and the affectionate way they were spoken of. There was a print of a painting in the Saloon above the coffee machine that you'll see titled 'Cod Hole' - I'd have loved a copy of it myself.

You'll have a great time - and March isn't too far away now.

I should have mentioned in the above that the diving was very easy - nothing too challenging at all. I would have liked the current to turn on a bit at Osprey, as I understand it can do, but even the dives we did there that were supposed to be 'live dives' were done with virtually zero current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom