Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadia

Reaction score
Hey All,

Gonna be coming to Utila in mid Feb and was looking for a little input on instructor work, living costs, pay etc.. Here's a few of my deats so you might be able to give me a good idea.
Canadian, 29, male, easy going
MSDT -nitrox, wreck, deep, night, nav.....
EFRI
Bilingual - french
insured

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot. Later

Canadia:
Hey All,

Gonna be coming to Utila in mid Feb and was looking for a little input on instructor work, living costs, pay etc.. Here's a few of my deats so you might be able to give me a good idea.
Canadian, 29, male, easy going
MSDT -nitrox, wreck, deep, night, nav.....
EFRI
Bilingual - french
insured

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot. Later

You're going to look for work as an instructor?

Know this:

You won't be needing that insurance in Honduras, at least not as how PADI is concerened. (note the peculiar tort liability laws in Honduras, yet another reason to not drive a rental vehicle, yet a great reason to be in any business)

That the Bay Islands in general (and Utila specificaly) is regarded as the backpacker and $5-per-day tourist haven. The costs of living are medium low for the Caribbean, but so is the potential income and prospects.

Everybody speaks English, some local workers speak Spanish, a few guests speak German. French? Fried.

If you're young, have the time, or just have a sense of adventure... by all means- go for it! Just don't expect to frind work in a Diver's Direct Store located in Cozumel Town, yet amazingly appearing on the lovely shores of the special island of Utila.

But there are trade offs.

Do it.

Thanks RoatanMan,
Definately not looking to work in Cancun type conditions. Small and laid back is more my style.
Are the prospects any better on Roatan?
Looking for instructor position but would be happy getting paid as a DM.

Canadia:
Thanks RoatanMan,
Definately not looking to work in Cancun type conditions. Small and laid back is more my style.
Are the prospects any better on Roatan?
Looking for instructor position but would be happy getting paid as a DM.

You'll enjoy the Bay Islands.

Are the prospects any better? Absolutely- in terms of volume of opportunities.

If I were looking for the adventure, I would like to be able to say, "Oh yeah, I was a DM working in Utila back in '05" to my IDC students in 2023.

You're young. Nothing ventured...

Good idea to get in touch with some the schools before you head off to get full info on the current immigration/work visa requirements.
Speak to Tex at Gunters/Ecomarine, Steve at Deep Blue, Andy at UDC or Darcy at BICD....any of them will have all the latest and be able to give you a good idea of what the current situation is.

p.s. Steve....how's the quiz going?..won yet???!!!

DeepBlueDivers:
Is that Pete ...Quizmaster Pete ??????

Huh, we won last week knocked Tex off his perch so i have been told, but lets be fair he does really well every week

Yes Steve it's the Quizard. Glad to hear that you've taken Tex down a peg or two!

Don't worry Pete, some of my own customers, instructor and the quizzard's wife pushed me into second two weeks ago, it's all so terribly impure, sordid even, but we shouldn't air our dirty laundry on the board...
We handily regained the title this week. Hasn't been a DBD victory under the new reign.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom