Atlantic Spiny Oysters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2TH DIVR

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
The Atlantic spiny oysters are on the deeper wrecks around here and taken dead shells for decorations and to give friends in the past.
I was looking for info if they are edible? Read somewhere that they are related to scallops more than oysters and is there a muscle like scallops or are they oyster like?
Originally for N.E. and went a couple times a year to the Salem area for scallops and was hoping that spiny oysters might be something to try.

Scott

2th divr:
The Atlantic spiny oysters are on the deeper wrecks around here and taken dead shells for decorations and to give friends in the past.
I was looking for info if they are edible? Read somewhere that they are related to scallops more than oysters and is there a muscle like scallops or are they oyster like?
Originally for N.E. and went a couple times a year to the Salem area for scallops and was hoping that spiny oysters might be something to try.

Scott

But they taste like oysters :eyebrow: The easiest way to get them is to get your kinfe in them before they close up, then cut the adductor muscle right next to on side of the shell. Then while you hold the shell mostly shut against your knife cut the second adductor muscle. When you open the shell andd grab the meat to eat it the race starts to see who gets the most of it. You or the cloud of fish that materializes out of nowhere!

BTW DO NOT eat them raw on the bottom around sewer outfalls!

FT

FredT:
BTW DO NOT eat them raw on the bottom around sewer outfalls!
Is there a story you're not telling us Fred?

Thanks for the info.
Think I might take a few to try them.

FredT:
Nope. Just that when eating the gut sack of any filter feeder you should be reasonably sure of what it was filtering.

FT

That's why it's a good idea, if possible, to put them in clean seawater and let them purge before eating. Ever eat Angle Wings? (not sure of the scientific name of this bi valve) If not purged, you grind sand in your teeth. I hate that.

Back
Top Bottom